1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This darnd gibson truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by litlock123, Apr 9, 2015.

1. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    Hello fellow bottom dwellers! Been a ehile since i've been on here. feels good to get postin' again- kinda. haha. i seem to have a faulty truss rod, i think.... need help people! i cant seem to get an allen key in here because the hex nut part of the truss rod is pushed way out, to the point where you can see threads. SUUUPERRR WEIRD RIGHT?! im figuring its a factory error, and since i recieved the bass second hand, aint much good gibsons gonna do. she needs s set up pretty bad, but it seems almost impossible, and i dont wanna strip the nut anymore thsn i already have. am i gonna have to remove the frettboard?!?!?! The bass is a 2007 money bass btw.... reslly love this thing, just cant figure out what to do!

2. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    heres a picturee

Attached Files:

3. I'm not sure what I'm looking at in that picture. That doesn't look like a Gibson truss rod nut to me, but it could be just my eyes playing tricks on me.

litlock123 likes this.
  4. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Assuming you're using the short end of the hex key and it's still too long, why not grind it down to a length that will fit?

litlock123 and bholder like this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You need to get that abortion off there and get a proper GIBSON nut that goes on the threads. And a washer.

That IS NOT a Gibson nut setup, somebody screwed the original hex nut up and tried to put that Allen socket nut on.

These are real Gibson nuts:

Truss Rod Nuts for Gibson<sup>®</sup> - 6 Pack | stewmac.com

And if you ever see the original owner, SLAP HIM DOWN LIKE A DOG IN THE STREET!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    hahaha thanks guys-
    Now agsin... it is a gibson money bass- is there a chance the truss rod would be different du to it being one of gibsons limeted run, off kilter kind of things? its a real gibson, but kind of a side project for gibson. and the nut is real hard to turn due to it being pressed up against the wood. Regsurdless, someone needs a good slapping. maybe me for buyin this thing 6 years ago lol

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'd use a dremel cutoff wheel or a hacksaw, you don't want to round off the edges too much.

litlock123 and Robert B like this.
  8. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    So did even more indepth research, and FINALLY got some answers. This was a factory error on many, if not all money basses. i ended up buyin a pack of short arm hex wrenches and managed to get them to fit. apparently the tool gibson sent was even too long to fit properly. atleast the dual action truss rod gibson used is of good quality and i only managed to strip the outter most part of the nut. Cant believe gibson let this crap happen!!! hahahaha. wow, but still an awesome bass that DOES have a functional truss rod, just a bit scary at first if you never delt this flaw before. Sheww, thiught i was gonna have to remove the frettboard! crazy stuff.

9. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    dremeling the original gibson tool would work aswell ofcourse, i judt got luck and found a cheap pack of exactly what i needed.

10. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    these husky "short arm" hex keys work if anyone is having the same issue and is tired of losing hair over this.

Attached Files: