This dude is good, but I think is bass is a gimmick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I played one of these a little bit on Thursday, and I really wonder how much serious use this bass will get. If it were simply a seven string fretted or fretless, I think it would have been great.

2. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I clicked on this thread totally expecting a video of Bootsy. :D

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Me too!!

4. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Inactive

Aug 18, 2017
    If a former darling of this board known for playing unusual basses was playing this, you'd all lose your minds tripping over yourselves to tell him how awesome it is.

5. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Considering how many songs I've heard where the bass player did multiple tracks to get this effect, and this guy did it in one take with one bass, I can see an adventurous bass player exploiting this live.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sure, just like the the poster, there are people with the skill to use it.
    I can also imagine a lot people buying one and selling it in short order too.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    tbz, HolmeBass, Ductapeman and 4 others like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Are you the player on that video? If so, I have nothing but respect for you. Your videos are super creative.

My point is that it will take an exceptional player to get the most out of that bass. I suspect that most who buy one won't be up to the task.

Tbone76 and bassstrangler like this.
  8. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Inactive

Aug 18, 2017
    I don't understand the hostility. My point was that there have been terrible players on this board that played unusual instruments badly and everybody here couldn't toss out the compliments quickly enough. This guy plays an unusual instrument well and nobody cares.

ColdEye, howlin and TrustRod like this.
  9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That is right up there on the list of ugly couches.

AaronVonRock, ajkula66 and tbz like this.
  10. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I don't think it is his instrument. This guy does a lot of fun vids where he gets odd basses and tries to do something cool with them. His main player is a MIM Jazz and he slays with it. He also accepts challenges from Youtube commenters (some include playing a bass with a dorito, playing a bass solo with zero strings, etc). Davie seems like a cool dude and never talks, just lets his chops say what he needs to.

Here's one of him with another monstrosity:

TalHaz, eff-clef, Tbone76 and 15 others like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have no hostility towards the player. He is clearly extremely talented, and has a great sense of humor. My comments were directed at the instrument, not the player.

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Is bass his gimmick?

I think so, and suppose he's making money off his YT videos somehow.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    tbz, dralionux and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  13. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    the guy is a great player, and I actually like the bass a lot more than I expected to. When he plays it anyway...it looks horribly uncomfortable to me even though I'd love to be able to play one.

moonshinegtrs, Ikkir and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I really would like to see Claypool do something with that bass.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The thing that felt totally weird to me was the fact the fretless portion is a couple of millimeters higher than the fretted portion.

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It's only a gimmick if the player cannot make adequate use of it.

I think in this guy's hands it's a perfectly legitimate instrument.

17. swartzfeger

swartzfeger

Mar 23, 2009
    Sedona, AZ
    I see both sides, but yeah...

About 6 years ago I was hellbent on a Chapman stick or something similar. I ended up with a 11 string Warr Guitar (like what Trey Gunn played in King Crimson). I recorded some with it, sounded GREAT... but I sold it 6 months later. Things like that require monomaniacal dedication. If I was 16 years old, maybe. But the time it would take to become proficient/fluent on something like that? Nah, I got too many songs to write, and a J or P or whatever will do just fine.

Later on I saw a fretted/fretless NS Stick by Chapman, similar to what's in the vid. I allowed myself to gas for it for a bit then slapped myself. Bad gas, BAD!

ajkula66, abotaun, BAG and 1 other person like this.
  18. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I've been contemplating one of these for a while.

The original Ashula (EADG fretted, repeated DG fretless on top) made more sense to me, but the central idea here is still cool (and the new one is supposed to have some improvements over the old).

There is at least one song across all my projects that this would be perfect for. Unfortunately, I just don't think I can justify the purchase for use on one song.

HolmeBass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Why was that weird? It means the surface of the fretless board is the same height as the top of the frets.

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree, I also happen to think that the people who can really make it sing are few.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021