this effect also work well on bass too.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jul 25, 2000.

1. at practice today, our lead guitarist was settin up his rig and i asked him if i could use his BOSS Metal zone pedal, just to see what it sounded like. what it sounded like was awesome! i could get some real hard metal stuff outta that. so heres the question, should i sell my BOSS Bass Overdrive and get the BOSS Metal Zone? i love both of those pedals. i cant really have both since im saving for a new amp and itl be a while before i can own both. any suggestions?

The official John Turner wannabe
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Can you buy a used Metal Zone pedal? That way, you may be able to afford it, plus not be set back too badly for your amp savings. If you do find a used one, test it first somehow to make sure it is in good working order. Jason Oldsted

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I totally second this. I found my metal zone for $20 on eBay. So I would keep both. That way you can use the OD for OD and the metal zone for dist. If you wanted.

You may want to also make sure that his metal zone isn't modded. As the metal zone is one of, many, boss pedals that is very easy to mod and usually is. Stock it's supposed to be pretty shrill and mid wonky. I feel mine is that way too. As it is stock. I'd love to mod it one. That's sorta why I bought it. But this is a whole different thread.
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The Metal Zone pedal has got to be the most ridiculed pedal ever. But I suspect, after 15 years, the OP has already made his decision.
    Bassic Playing and Frozen J like this.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Oh wow. I didn't even see that date! Wow. I just saw it was the top post in the effects forum so I automatically thought it was recent.
  6. Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I've tried out the metal zone on bass myself. I thought it sounded great on bass. especially though a friend's ampeg rig. I also dig the sound the grygrx(if I spelled his name right) from gets from using that pedal through his sovtek amp. it gives it a warm and aggressive sound. here's a clip of his review of the boss metal zone on bass. I dig the sound from 7:43. it sounds warm and heavy on the low b string. \m/

If you're considering getting that pedal for your bass because you dig the sound, by all means go for it. there are some bass players that experimented with guitar distortions and they usually get some impressive results. if you want another choice for a new distortion pedal for your bass and money is no option, check out the empress heavy.

7. omie

omie Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Recent Zooms have a metal zone model. Meh.. Still, even zoom is in the know.