Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This Essence Rocks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbanks, Mar 10, 2005.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm starting to get used to the wide neck and the Q-filter. Its forcing me to play slower, but cleaner. And the tone throws all of my 'wiki-wiki boxes' into overkill. Sweet! Ummmm.... that is all. Goodnite.
    :cool:

2. That thing is BADASS!!! Thumbs up! I think I've stayed away from Alembic's because if I play one I'll want one. I really need to go demo some. :bassist:

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Nice looking bass. I'm not usually a big fan of flame maple but that looks great.

Alembics are great aren't they? Welcome to the club.

4. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Hey, looks like my old bass!!! I sold mine (big mistake) about four years ago (to buy a Series II-big mistake) to a fellow New Englander-lost touch with him after a while. My wife made a special fabric pad that slipped over the strap buttons and covered the back to prevent any buckle marks. Anyway-great bass!! Very versatile, recorded very well. Has a more "normal" neck for an Alembic.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Curious as to why you feel that the S2 was a mistake. Was it something about the instrument itself?

6. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    One of my favorite tailpiece/bridge shapes. Congrats Ibanks, a beautiful bass.

Is the metal plate at the neck a ramp, or just there to re-enforce the neck bolts (I thought these models were all neck-throughs)?

Could you by any chance describe what the Q-filter does, say, by comparison to the usual preamp cut and boost functions?

7. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    It's a truss rod cover plate. The Essences are all NT's.
    Normal bass and treble controls have a cut/boost function that works around a certain frequency, eg a bass control will affect the frequencies around 100Hz. The Alembic filters are a variable low pass filter, similar in a way to the classic passive cut 'tone' filter on passive basses. The Alembic filter works over a larger range, isn't affected by the volume controls and has the Q control. What the Q control does is, at the area where the filter is beginning to roll off, it allows you to add a boost of up to 12dB (or 4x) which can create some interesting and useful effects.
    The Alembic filter is especially useful as it's different to what almost everyone offers, and used with the more normal B/M/T controls on your amp can have a larger array of sounds.

Essences with the std electronics package don't have the Q control.

9. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    thanks for the reply. Now I'm getting dangerously anxious to try Alembics. :p

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you get the opportunity to try some then do, but remember there's really no such thing as a std Alembic, they're all basically custom. The filter takes some practice to get good at using too.
    I've also found they're a love them or hate them type of instrument.

11. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I hear you. I've always been a fan of the 'Stanley sound' but I can't stand the look of any of the Alembic shortscales.

The fretless sound I 'm seeking would be that of the fretless Ken Bebensee bass that Jaco plays in his instructional video. To me it sounds like a fretless version of the 'Stanley sound' I refered to above.

Although admitedly I'd want it to look less like something that belongs in display case.

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'm exactly the opposite. I have two of the shortscales and reckon they look brilliant.

13. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I think short-scale basses suit smaller people best. Seeing as I'm a big guy with shovels for hands I don't like the idea of small fragile instruments (especially not when they carry this type of price tag).

This was my main reason for starting to play bass years ago.

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Ever seen Stanley Clarke's hands? And the necks he has on his shortcales are even narrower than standard.
    Fragile isn't something I'd call either of mine.

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Thanks! Everybody else gave you better
    information than I could. :)