This forum is dead now! I wanna here some cool stories!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by de la mocha, Dec 13, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    Come on guys! I know some of you guys have been playing a whole lot longer then I have. Some of you even gig. Everyday I check this forum to read cool stories and adventures of my fellow bass playing brethren!

Let's post some cool stories! Fights with the lead guitarist, the best gig you ever had, stolen equipment, jamming with complete strangers, improvised songs on the spot, come on, I wanna read something exciting or cool that you've experienced or lived through.....

Come on bass players!!!!
  2. i once ate a potato and lived through it..... intense....
  3. R.Lee

Nov 12, 2005
    Wow chips that is so cool was it an Idaho or a russet? I hear those Idahos are mean.
  4. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    during one of our shows our drummer meant to throw his stick, but instead threw his cymbal - slicing off 3 audience member's heads.

The End. :)
  5. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Okay, Okay....true story:
    I was playing at a gig once that had a balcony in the back of the room. Some drunk guy takes a header off the balcony and lands right on our sound board. We're figuring the guy is dead or has broken his neck or something...he gets up, brushes himself off and staggers out of the bar. Drunks do have guardian angels. Other than having the sound board crash to the floor, there wasn't any damage to it, so we just kept on jammin'. A typical night for a rock n' roll band..... I realize this story has no potatoes in it, but it's the best I can do on short notice.
  6. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    Did I miss something with all the patato chip references? :confused:
  7. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    I once stabbed a man.
  8. With a sharp potato?
    Or a really blunt one so it hurt more?
  9. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    This thread failed miserably..... :mad:
  10. i once opened a bag of potatoes, reached in and found a potato that looked EXACTLY like a potato from an earlier bag ..... the resemblance was uncanny

so i ate it ..... it was potatolicious and chocked full of potatoey goodness

true story
  11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I ate a carrot once. Not THAT baby was sharp. Move over potato men, the carrot guys are here.
  12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    give this man a medal, he wins! The other story was good too, and the potato bit is dumb
  13. thanks for sharing your judgement and insight ..... it's nice to know that someone other than the moderators is out there keeping check on all forum activities and letting everybody know what the score is [sarcasm off]

you know what they say about opinions .....
  14. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada first medal! :hyper:
    Cool to see a few Ontario people in guys have links to your band websites? I'd like to check 'em out.
  15. congrats spector ..... you da man :smug:

my band's website is linked through the 'Coldsweat' link in my signature ..... we play T.O. mostly but get out to Burlington as well

gonna have to check out the link to your band when i'm not at work though ;)

be cool fellow ontarionite :bassist:
  16. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Hey Wabbit I just checked out your website and listened to a few songs, you guys have a great sound...very chillin'. is it difficult to get shows set up in Toronto? I heard that if you are a band from out of town - like us - you gotta have a booking agent or someone who can get you in...
  17. toronto is a tough nut to crack ..... unless you DO have representation, you pretty much have to start out like everyone else ..... take some promo packs into some indie band clubs (eg. lee's palace, kathedral, rivoli etc.) ..... you'll probably have to take a bunch of tuesday/wednesday night opening gigs for a percentage of the door and try to build some type of following ..... as the people start to show regularly and in numbers, you start to get the friday/saturday opening slots which are usually pretty happening

link to toronto club contact info

it's a tough road but i say go for it ..... you guys have a good sound for the scene ..... i like what you guys are doing :smug:

my band plays indie blues/rock and the bar scene is different for that genre ..... i would guess that the cover band scene might be even different still but haven't gone down that road in a long time
  18. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Thanks for the kind words, glad that you enjoy the music...i too hope it will be suitable for TO..I will bookmark that link and see about getting something set up in the near future.

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005

I wouldve thought it was obvious that that was all opinion. How crazy has the world gone when everyone has to say "in my opinion" before saying an opinion. Political correctness gone mad...

know who needs to chill? ;)
  20. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Well it's not a cool enough story to have it's own thread, but it will fit right in over here... ;)

Last weekend our almost-a-band (singer, drummer and myself on bass) finally got toegether with a guitar player after having been out of action for the last 8 or 9 months. Looks like we finally found the right guys and we're back on track. Funny thing is, while checking everyone out, we ended up playing a couple things that the new guys knew and the original band members didn't. Stuff we'd all heard before, but never practiced. It was pretty cool that we pulled some of the stuff off fairly well! Especially since none of us are pros. Kind of sucked though...played the stuff unrehearsed almost as well as the ones I'd been goofing with for the last year or so :spit: .

I think I'll push for a new setlist every week so nobody can tell how little progress I've made.

edit---that's guitar player AND keyboard player