Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This forum needs a new look..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Selta, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    OK, so I dunno why, but all of a sudden I've become quite bored with the two color themes available here at TB. Anyone else out there tired of "default" and "blues"? I'd like to see others... or, even, make your own :eyebrow:.

Ray

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no, not at all

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I pretty sure the software allows for users to change themes or skins....but it could be a problem for the site's design if the admin activated that function. We run Vbulletin on all our sites and don't use that function for that reason.

I like it fine this way:)

4. I say plaid.

And get Hildi to put some vibrant fabric on the walls. Stapled on, of course. Her body is kickin. She's a butterface, but really, damn.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I find the blues comforting, since i see it everyday :smug:

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    At least you have a choice here in BG.

Over in "Castle DB" you only get default, and you can't even get two column posts.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think in general the forum could be a bit more refined in terms of how it uses space. There are lots of blank areas of space, and redundant buttons, as well as oddly placed buttons in a couple areas, but the general aesthetic is fine.

For instance, I think 2 column posts should be default and unable to change, and that the little space between posts could be done away with, additionally the thick blue bar for the timestamp could be reduced, and the additional posting options and stuff at the bottom could be attached to the message window. As could the delete option when you goto edit a post. And the whole of the posting window could be attached to the toolbar on top which could be flush with the tool bar on the side.

This is sloppy but this is the basic idea that I think would help refine the forum greatly. I removed the 'post reply' button from the top because well, then it promotes people actually reading the thread before they can reply(or at least forcing them to scroll to the bottom in shame as they post without reading first :p )
    in addition to that I pushed things together a bit and added more blue buffer around many edges.(which, admittedly could have been done a lot cleaner) The same could be done to the bottom half of the page and inbetween posts.

edit: refined it a bit
    [​IMG]

8. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if the software vendor allows mods to the forums after the license purchase. If so, maybe ask the admin if it's possible to add this as an option.