1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

this guitarist is going to be the death of me

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by llacnayr, Apr 16, 2010.

1. llacnayr

llacnayr

Oct 29, 2008
    Nebraska
    So I'm in a doom metal jam band with my best friends. We're all aware that our guitarist has bipolar problems, and frankly, he's just a d***. He writes cool riffs and has a very good ear, but he has ZERO experience with any type of theory. When I try to teach him riffs, he gets frustrated and gives up fast. Is there any way that we can break though to him? Should we just kick him out?

2. if he has a good ear learning riffs should be a snap...if it ain't fun ,bail

3. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    if he can write good riffs and has a good ear then why push him to learn theory?

4. paul_s

paul_s

Jan 12, 2008
    Winnipeg, MB
    not to be an *******, but it sounds like he just doesn't want to learn your riffs.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Its probably something personal.

6. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    if he has good hear and writes well, keep up, if not, ill hapilly join that band to replace him. and you dont exactly need a guitar player for doom if the song are tuned to standard F#(the one below the E, not hte other) just distort the bass and put a keyboard, htas what i do.:bassist:

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I'd tell him the about the problem and ask him to get with the program. If he refuses, then he's fired himself.

8. llacnayr

llacnayr

Oct 29, 2008
    Nebraska
    The way he plays is just elementary. He's constantly speeding up and not staying with the drums. I'd never even attempt to teach him modes or scales, but he has problems with even keeping the beat

9. then he doesn't have a good ear and can't write good riffs,

10. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Unacceptable for any kind of music. Fire him.

11. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Bad attitude and bad timing? Either one by itself would be enough for me to fire him.

12. llacnayr

llacnayr

Oct 29, 2008
    Nebraska
    I posted this about a few days ago, we're in the process of kicking him out

13. omnimutant

omnimutant

Dec 14, 2009
    Phoenix
    sounds like my Guitar Player... He writes great stuff, but then can't even play the crap he wrote most of the time! God forbid he tries to learn something anyone else wrote... it's like pulling teeth o.0 It's an ego problem I think.