1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This guy angered me.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I was down at the studio helping the engineer record some lame band.

bass player comes up... here is what he had to do...

DI from his sansamp
    DI from his head
    4 Mics on his 4x10
    2 on his 1x15
    2 Overheads
    Plus our crowd mics

Was a PITA to set up.

Still sounded like crap.

Because his band sucks.

:mad:

2. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    lol. You know it's bad when the cr*ppy ones are the ones that require the most effort.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Geeze! I think the most tracks I've ever used in the studio was 3. This guy sounds like he wanted to compete with the drummer over track usage. What a tool.

4. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    HAHA 11 channels for the bass player? :eyebrow: :confused: I might have said sure, then just recorded him from the crowd mic. :D

5. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    Gawd!....totally pointless overkill.

12+ tracks for a single bass line?

I feel sorry for whoever has to do the mix, the bass player probably thinks that each channel will make his sound bigger and bigger, but it won't, and will probably have the opposite effect in the end.

There is a reason that top producers DON'T record basses that way. It's a wonder he didn't want you to mic the bass also, that would be funny.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Whoa. That's out of control... :eek:

I must admit, I've sometimes had less than stellar results with engineers who record me running direct only. So from now on I insist upon running a microphone from a cabinet too. Plus maybe a DI from my SansAmp. Maybe. But at most that would be three channels. I can't see how any bassist would ever need more than that...

MM

7. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    A clean and effected DI and a mic or maybe two. Four mics on his 4x10 how did he want them setup thats ridiculous?

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    That's probably even more convoluted than the diagram I saw of Billy Sheehan's recording rig, which was in Bass Player many years ago.

Four mikes on a 4x10? What the hell? One for each speaker? Heh.

Man, that thing must've sounded like butt with all the phase cancellations happening everywhere.

9. I bet the phase issues were fun to try and deal with!

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Whatever, everyone knows that the top left speaker on a 4x10 has a really crunchy sound that you can't get from the other drivers. Personally, I'm more of a fan of the LOWER left driver as it retains the grit of the top left but blends that with a tone that has a bit of the minty smoothness from the lower right.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +1000

Just an example of someone trying to be bigger than they really are. Compensating for something maybe??:bag:

12. Most def.!

When I record, I use the exact same setup as my live rig... DI outta my SVT-III Pro and ONE mic on my 410XL. I'm easy to get along with...

13. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    As long as the band is paying the cash, they can burn up studio time as stupidly as they want.

14. Post of the month!

Ken

15. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Justin Meldal-Johnsen who plays with beck said when he records he goes direct , records with bass amp (usually Ampeg b15) and he uses a guitar amp (fender twin or marshall half stack) to get a fuzz sound. He has alot of interesting ideas on recording. There is a giant interview on bassplayer.tv and he goes through tons of recording things.

16. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    LOL :D I didn't know that... :D

Yep, +1 on post of the month!