1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This guy has a VERY odd right hand tech. Ive never seen anything like it

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gold_member_321, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Ive never seen anyone play a bass like this, id imagine its uncomfortable and cant quite understand why someone would learn like that.

Or it is possible that hes just doing it to be a showoff.

Either way sweet bass&drums solo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vm0xXDlXnO4

2. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    I've seen that cat before, and more than his style his tone impressed me, its so, I dunno, a bit funky, kinda bright, I can put my finger on it. Sounds hendrix-y for some reason, but still the guy is a weirdo but pretty cool. I like it!

3. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    I believe it has to do with his being left handed.

Some people play left handed basses with it strung upside-down, kinda like playing an upright without restringing for a left-handed configuration. So, in order to pull a slap-pop technique, he uses that really funky technique.

4. heh you can really hear those high's from the SWR cab.. this guy is amazing though

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think he looks kinda dumb playing like that, but you can't argue with results. If it is for the left handed reason, I'd just get a lefty bass or string upside-down or whatever.

6. What I heard was he learned to play violin first and when he switched to bass that was the only way he felt comfortable.

The bass is strung like a normal righty bass, from what I can see. It may look silly, but it's obviously not limiting him in anyway that I can see.

7. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I saw that guy playing in a bar in Fairfax, VA a few years ago with a great band. I don't remember their name. He also played a few songs with traditional right hand technique too (whatever that is). He was feqatured in a short bit in Bass Player magazine the same year. Anyway he's a great player and nice guy.

8. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Well that's one way of dealing with neckdive...

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I did see a video of him a few years ago...he's been with Spector since then it seems! The video I think was hosted by the Spector website!

Yeah, it's a funky looking way of playing but he gets results. To the comments of it being a bit Hendrix-y, in the video I saw of him ages ago he was playing Vodoo Chile or something.

10. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Yeah, he takes that "wearing the bass high like a jazz bassist" to another level...He does sound good.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    He sounds good definately, but how healthy is it for him to bend his right hand like that all the time?

12. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
  13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Quentin Berry is from my neck of the woods...the 1st time I saw him, I thought he screwing around/bored 'cause they were playing a Sponge tune(his group at the time was The Mike Latham Band).
    Then they played "What Would You Say" by the DMB(a very busy bass tune) & he pulled that off, too.

Berry was in a Bass Frontiers mag a few years back; IIRC, Oteil Burbridge(another guy that cut his teeth playing in a Va. Beach bar band) was on the cover.

I think Berry said he was given a bass at a very young age with no strap...I guess holding like a violin was the way to go.

14. +1 made me laugh, but thats completely true.

15. AveryHorton

AveryHorton

Jul 3, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    That cat, Quinton, can just flat out play.

No reason to dog his style.

16. When hes playing overhanded, his right hand technique is very reminiscent of Louis Johnson, his hand was flying everywhere.

17. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry Supporting Member

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    It's insanity!

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Eh...looks really goofy and seriously uncomfortable. Plus, it sounds like he's either off time or just trying to throw in too many notes at some points in the song.

I'll give it an "A" for effort and uniqueness...but just a "C" overall.

19. Damn that guy is good... crazy technique but can't argue with those results :D