1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

this guy must really hate rickenbackers...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    the other day i found this goofy video of a dude making a long video complaining about his rickenbacker bass and i just thought i’d share. i think it’s hilarious, despite rickenbackers being my dream bass. and this kind of ‘rick-shaming’ isn’t just limited to this video, any video on his channel comparing or talking about rick basses he always finds things to dislike about them. and like said, i think it’s hilarious! have a good laugh.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    He’s been smack talking them for years. I think they sound really good and dislike everything else about them.

3. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    there’s certainly a community of never-rickers. i mean to be fair they’re wacky little instruments. and also for future reference for anyone else, i’m not making fun of this dude. there’s something very appealing about him bad talking his ricko like it’s his ex wife haha.

Kubicki Fan and wmhill like this.
  4. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    Well.... I don't know which bridge is worse. This or the two/three point Gibson bridge.

1960jbass, 4 Strings Good and RSBBass like this.
  5. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    TL;DL (too long, didn't listen)

6. I like my Rickenbackers.

7. Erasmusman

Erasmusman One day I will master the bass. Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Upper Midwest
    Sadly, IMO, he is an angry man and is not well.

B-Mac, Evets1987, Jeff Scott and 3 others like this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Wife said I should be buried with mine, so I could achieve eternal wood.

Wait a sec...

9. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    angriest canadian in the world?!?! i believe he’s canadian, at least.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    When I was 18 and ready to drop some coin on my first really good bass guitar, I desired a Ric more than anything, was sure it was the thing for me. Then played a few in stores and determined it was definitely not for me, and ended up buying a Warwick.

jkazam, design, Ggaa and 3 others like this.
  11. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Thoroughly enjoyed that!:laugh:

B-Mac likes this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

do a search for the video key "nQgAv2jcmcI"
    it's The Most Posted Rickenbacker video on TB

Ruknrole likes this.
  13. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Dave is quite well. He's forthright and honest and is not afraid to express his opinion, even when it's unpopular. And I understand his views about Rickenbackers. I'm not far off his opinion. Dave is salty, but he knows what he is doing.

14. My story is similar but I was 19 and the Rick was up against a BC Rich bass (American) or a Lado (Cdn). My local store only had a Rick so I dispensed with idea of going to Montreal Steve's Music and just bought the Rick in my hometown. Still with me today.

bobyoung53 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  15. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    If this is the same video I think it is, it's hilarious. Then again, Ricks are a big "meh" from me.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Having bought a new 4001 in 1973 I know exactly how he feels. Do I wish I still had it? Yes! I bought a new 4003 Walnut and it was so poorly made I returned it! Great sound. Lousy setup. Poorly filled gouges in the body. Sharp frets! Not worth the money I paid. :rollno:

17. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Yeah, horrible. I guess. I mean I haven't touched my bridge in at least 5 years...but they are horrible.

18. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    I love watching Dave. I learned a ton through the years and i always had a good laugh. His videos on guitars with more than 6 strings is great, as is the gooch of the week.

19. Are they really that bad?

I remember seeing two in person and maybe playing one of them. That was a while ago.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  20. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Not all of them. Just the one I bought!

pie_man_25 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.