1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This guy on CL is selling 1972 svt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brndn123, Oct 21, 2010.

1. for 800 obo!!!! Catch is the second channel doesn't work. What should I do ahhhhh

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    First thing is to tell me where this guy is :bag:

Seriously, get it if you can swing it.

EDIT: Found him, lol. Not that I would ever steal something away like that, but really, call the guy and check it out. These usually go for twice as much, and even if a whole check up for the amp costs $200 or so, still a great deal.

3. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    New plan!!

Buy it, sell it on TB for comparable prices to past (1400ish), save a bit more cash and get a Reeves. Muahahaha!

4. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Unless it needs a whole new set of power tubes or a new transformer (and it sounds like it doesn't) that seems to be a great deal.

You should also consider if you're wiling to actually lug the amp to gigs and stuff. They are heavy.

5. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I would be driving there right now if I had the $$!

GET IT!!!!!!!!!!

6. you sir, are a genius....

Seriously though, my only concern is that second channel. I mean 800 for a '72, I could live with that, but is it really worth it :confused:

7. oh yea, he said new tubes. Kinda forgot about that detail considering I almost pooped myself at the thought of having a 70s ampeg at 800 obo

8. I appreciate the courtesy; I DID already contact him, no reply yet:spit:

9. You'll find the venerable SVT is highly prized, but do decide if you want to haul, and maintain, an amp like this. They are heavy and it's expensive to replace the tubes.
    Good luck! :D
    Shindig

10. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    I'd do it in a second.

Everybody I know who used an SVT... channel 1, normal.

11. 2nd channel is just the bright input correct?

12. If you can get the second channel fixed for less than $700 then it's still a good deal. You can probably get it fixed for $200-$300.

13. This is a bit of a misnomer... Replacing tubes every 10-20 years isn't much maintenance. Mine still has the original Magnavox preamp tubes from '76. :D

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Being the Craigslist Lurker that I am (I've recently have scored a 62 Precision for $950, a 75 Precision for $600, and an Orange 15" for $400 w/ case in the past year) I'd guess in the time you spent posting that information here on Talkbass, someone already snatched the deal out from under you...

15. sigh, he just got back to me. Turns out it was sold BEFORE I even contacted him a few days ago, never had a chance :(

16. I guess since we're kind of on the topic (not really), anyone notice the abscence of the fender bassman 300 (300t remake) recently? Its labeled as discontinued on all major retailers websites. What gives?

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    typically how it goes, my friend. Quick story for ya...

I had a lead on a 1962 P bass, guy listed it for $950 on a Monday. I thought it was a typo. No pics on the Ad either. Ad went up, he took it down a few hours later. I had contacted him minutes within him putting it up told him I'd come get it in 4 days and he ACTUALLY held it for me til the end of the week when I could go pick it up. He said he had offers from people to "name his price", and triple what he was asking and he said, "Nope, I got this guy coming to pick it up Friday"...what a nice guy he was, a keyboardist actually. He threw in a mid-60's case too...truthfully, the guy didn't know what it was worth (and coincidentally, his internet went down that week too, so no checking Ebay, etc)

CL is ups and downs. Best thing to do is if you have cash in hand, tell the seller right when they post the item on the first email. Tell them you're 100% serious and will pick up when it's convenient for them, etc etc. Work on their time. Deals can be had, but unfortunately, only one person can get it...

18. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    No problem man. It's not really a courtesy...it's the only thing to do.
    And sonofab****!!!!
    I had the same EXACT thing happen to me with a Musicman Cutlass. I've wanted one for the longest time...we all have our White Whales I guess.