1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This has happened a few times to me on Craigslist.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Axtman, Jun 10, 2019.

1. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    I've basically given up on CL for that reason....it's hit or miss.............mostly miss

2. I agree with the posters above who consider that CL is a free service and that brings out those who aren't truly serious about buying, but the real crazies are the ones who want something offered for free and want YOU to send it to them.

I've got an SR500 posted on CL, and one person wants to buy (he had to beg off sick yesterday, which already sets off warning lights). Someone else sent a nice email suggesting a trade on the SR500, and they understood if I wasn't interested. I sent him a kind one back about why I wasn't doing trades, and if the possible sale falls through I would notify him if he was interested in a cash deal. Hey, nothing ventured, and he wasn't a jerk about it... unlike the guy who was going to do me a "favor" and buy everything I've posted for a steep discount.

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    regarding the OP's question, that's happened to me a few times. sometimes the person bought one while i was deciding whether i'd take their offer, sometimes they decided to hold off on spending the money. sometimes it was more of a fantasy and i've given them a few minutes to rethink it, and sometimes they're flippers or wannabe flippers.

what keeps me from having this happen more is when i list something, i list it for what i'd like to get in a perfect world, and i often get that amount, but i leave some wiggle room so guys who like to feel like they won can knock $20 off the price, and it won't bother me at all. i decide in advance what the lowest price i would accept is that won't make me feel bad. if someone hits me with a price below that, i tell them courteously no thank you, but thanks for the offer. surprisingly a fair amount of those guys went up in price and bought the item. but it helps that i have built-in wiggle room in the price, too.

say i'm listing a bass for $500 (i always list reasonable but not low prices), i expect to get $450 but decide in advance i won't go lower than $400. that way, when a guy hits me with an offer for $350, i say no, but thank you for the offer. i never have to worry whether they get back to me because i decide in advance that i won't go below $400 and i don't. it simplifies things. often they ask what the lowest price i'll take is, so i tell them $400 if i'm so inclined. sometimes i tell them i might go down if it doesn't sell in a few days, and a couple guys waited and ended up buying the item a few days later at the mid-level price.

4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    It's a human condition called, lack of etiquette. Lack of etiquette abounds in the 21st century.

noun
    1. the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.
      "the rules of etiquette are changing"
      synonyms: protocol, polite behavior, good manners, manners, acceptable behavior, accepted behavior, proper behavior, code of behavior, rules of conduct/behavior, decorum, form, good form;
      courtesy, politeness, civility, propriety, formalities, niceties, punctilios;
      custom, customary behavior, convention, conformity, conventionality;
      politesse;
      informalthe thing to do
    [​IMG]

5. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    reply back with $10 higher than your original offer.

alanolynn likes this.
  6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    When dealing on CL you just can't let the tire kickers, lowballers and other assorted loonies push your buttons. Polite responses and ignoring the real jerkweasels keeps it all business and less stressful.

7. 6Bass101

6Bass101

Apr 2, 2016
    Fort Mill, SC
    How long are you taking to think about it before responding? I've been on both sides of taking too long to accept an offer.

When I'm the potential buyer, I've either found the item elsewhere or, after thinking about it more, decided I didn't really need it. Out of courtesy, I respond to the seller and let them know. I also thank them for considering my offer and responding to me.

As a seller, it's been a mixed bag of folks that just disappear and the ones that respond letting me know they've moved on for whatever reason. So any time I have to think too long about accepting an offer, I know there is a chance the offer will be gone by the time I respond. Like others have said, it's the nature of the beast.

pcake likes this.
  8. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Ridiculously true.

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm going to put up a CL ad advertising 'Couch Time'...

... free session for any and all to come by, lay down, and tell me at least something that has stood out in their lives as extraordinary...

... oh, the material I could get... maybe a book deal... then, a movie... tee shirts, trinkets, souvenirs...

... and would then turn it all around, selling it right back on CL...

... if that ain't paying it sideways, I don't know what is.

10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    This is what normal people do.

PaulCISSA and cosmicevan like this.
  11. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    I am a well known tightwad and live to exchange no longer wanted treasures and/or trash on CL for cash, so I'll put up with lots of bad behavior to gain some 'free' US amero simoleons.
    Buyers are always totally free to change their minds, find it elsewhere cheaper or space out and stand me up. A time waster, sure, but as a buyer I sometimes act that way myself on a bad day so I can't bitsh much.
    Annoying yes, but it don't cost me a thang. It is their loss, is my point of view. If you don't want my nifty gizmo then fine, somebody else will.
    You must remember the FREE aspect of CL, praise the name of Newmark. No other website features FREE ads, not even Faceplant, which you pay for with every snip of your personal info they can slap into a database-most of it incorrect.
    When a supposed buyer tries that "lowest price" gambit on me I say "come on over and try it, you'll probably want to pay me more than I'm asking it is so good." Or else I knock off $10 if I'm eager to sell.
    Of course I'm a retiree so my time is worth nothing and I don't get out much so I enjoy chatting with people, even sometimes CL flakes who I am pretty sure will never show up at my door. YMMV if you are still a working stiff. All praise CL.
    WT

Charlzm and BadSanta1281 like this.
  12. I eat Craigslist flakes for breakfast.

Oh, wait. Those are Frosted Flakes. Never mind.

pcake and alanolynn like this.
  13. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Propeller-Head Hero Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    New Jersey
    I sense a business opportunity......:smug:

14. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    Sometimes you don't think it be like that but it do.

15. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I had a guy call me about an item I had on Craigslist. After asking me a bunch of questions about it he said that he would take it. I asked when he would stop by to pick it up. He said that he lived in another state and would I mind shipping it to him. The item is a only heavy Peavey amp combo. He said there was no need put it in a box just put cardboard on the front and back. He said he does it all the time. I declined. The item was for sale for $100 and shipping would be about $50!

cosmicevan likes this.
  16. That's a tire kicker doing you a big favor.

Williethump likes this.
  17. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Anything with 'best price' I ignore.

Here's an example of a bunch of fannies. A couple of years ago I was having a room clear-out and decided the little beer-fridge had to go. I stuck it up on Gumtree, advertising it at £10, collection only. Got a flurry of emails promising to come and get it right away; nobody came. Next day, I put it up for FREE and got the same shid! Eventually, in the evening, a guy called up and said he was coming down, which he did, and away it went.

alanolynn likes this.