Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This has to be the best quote on a sansamp DI...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 16, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    JS Music gave me a quote of $139 for the Sansamp Bass Driver. (www.jsmusic.com)

Its the best price I have seen yet.

I don't work for JS Music, I have never even shopped there, sorry if I sound like an advertiser!

Just to clarify a question in my head...I love my tone now, but will the sansamp do anything for me? I don't want to blow $150 or so on something that will barely do anything for me. One thing I know I could use it for is to run into a PA at a friends house, instead of lugging my stack every time :)

Lemme know your thoughts.

Good luck

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just get one.

3. Yea, what he said.

That is a really good price though. :)

4. Amen.

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    No arguments here, either. I use mine as a stomp box to sweeten up my solid state head. I wonder if the lower prices being quoted (I paid $170) is due to the new rack-mount version coming out soon? With the addition of a mid control, I wonder how many players will give it a try as a stand-alone preamp coupled with a power amp? Hmmm...

6. Watch out! If you haven't already ordered it, those people have a very bad reputation, which I can personally attest to.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Reasonable theory, JohnL, but it is available at some places now, and from what I've seen, the prices on the stomp box version have remained steady.

metalloid - It's a lot like a BBE Sonic Maximizer, in that, you use it the first couple of times and think, "so what?." Then, try your rig without it. Without the SansAmp, I'll wager your bass sound now seems anemic. I close my eyes with mine, and I could almost mistake it for a Sadowsky through an SVT. Best investment for sound under $200 I ever made, except for strings. (BTW, I paid $175 with S&H from Bass Northwest).

It doesn't change the character of your bass, like an effects pedal, (unless you hike up the drive), but it takes what you have and puts it on steroids.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Buy it. You will like it. I promise.

I paid about $180 for mine from my local music store. I consider it one of my best investments. I wouldn't think of getting rid of it (although that new rack mount version has got me talking to my wallet to see if he agrees that I need it.)

well, anyway, its worth the money.

later
    Ryan

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use it al the time to go direct into a P.A. I love the thing. I have had nothing but good experiences with it and tech21nyc. I have had the sansamp for years, and I lost one of the plastic nuts that hold the par. jack to the casing, they sent me a bunch of them quickly and with a letter saying thanks for using the bass driver di. 150 is a really good price, I say get it.

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I picked one up recently...and I recommend it.

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    A couple of weeks ago I had to play a opening gig and use the headlining bands bass amp. I brought my bass, tuner, two cords and my SansAmp.
    The Amp was a Carvin not sure of the model it was the all in one biamp model with 1 15 and a 2 10 cabs. All I did was just crack the volume on the amp just enough so I could hear myself on stage and everything out of the PA was a line out of my SansAmp. Man what a huge sound it was The dude with the Carvin came up to me after our set and said man my amp rocked it sounded killer. I showed him what I was actually getting the sound from and now its the next thing on his list.
    It's a great little box and sound guy's love them.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You must be a really nice guy, Funkster, helping out the competition and all ;) I had pretty much the same experience. And this guy used to play bass for Richard Marx, (had a hit with, "Don't Mean Nothin' "). Has tons of gear, but not the Driver. I'm thinking about just painting the thing and tell others it's a custom job.

BTW, from the "all in one" comment, I guess it was the Cyclops (1-15", 2-8"s).

13. I will agree wholeheartedly with everyone else, but...

I have to admit that I bought a stomp-box eq to put in front of it. The Sansamp tends to eat up the midrange quite a bit (I know, lower the lows and highs and the mids come through more, but then you're lowering the gain a lot), so with the eq I set everything flat and then boost the upper mids. With this, I can get exactly the upper end harmonics I got from my old Ampeg V4-B head. Then, when I want to emphasis just lows and highs (like for slap), I just click the eq off w/my foot.

so that's what I do. And it's great getting phantom power from the board when you run out of the XLR jack - no batteries req'd for the Sansamp!

Mark

14. phaneo

phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Whatch out! JS Music got me too!!!!!

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I just picked up a Sansamp used for $80. It really beefs up the sound of my passive basses, and sounds great. I wish I had access to an owner' manual, however. I would like to see the recommended settings for different amps. I went to their website, but they didn't have the manual online. Anyone know where I could get the settings online?

16. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Buy it now.Now I tell you.

17. shagEb

shagEb Guest

Apr 14, 2001
    USA, Polkville NC
    man i got to get one.your $150 beats my $210 at the local shop.go get it.

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Can you use the floor-version directly to poweramp btw?

19. yes, you can just use it as a pre-amp and run it straight to a poweramp. This is probably the best way to use it, IMO, unless you have a combo or amphead and have an effects loop.

Mark

20. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    I just got my Sansamp in yesterday. Bought it from J+S for $139. Can't reach these guys by phone right now--they are renovating their store, but they answer email quickly. Mine got lost in the mail, (they should have sent it Fed-x or UPS instead of US mail) but he got another one out to me pretty quick.

Gregg