Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This irritates me..Ebay misinformation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 21, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    it says in the auction that he's selling cause he dropped a ton of cash on a '64 reissue??

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Tobias Growler was made in the USA (at least some were if not all). Tobys are made in Korea.

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    all Growlers were USA made

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    ok, well I stand corrected on the USA part. But him plastering MTD and Mike Tobias's name all over it was misleading I thought.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I could be wrong, but didn't Michael Tobias Desigs this bass? Did Michael work with Gibson in making these basses for a while?

It's kinda like the auctions I see "G&L/Fender bass". Leo Fender did own the company before he passed away & alot of the basses in the G&L Line are Leo's designs.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Not sure about that. But my concern was that people who didn't know any better, would see it and think that it was a genuine Tobias bass while Mike was making them. Not a Gibson Tobias.

8. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Boy, he sure did manage to get a lot of keywords into that description!

If the bass says Tobias it's a real Tobias, whether or not it was made before Mike left. He certainly didn't say it was made under Mike's supervision. You could hardly expect him to come out and say "this isn't as good as a pre-Gibson Tobias" even if he believed it.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The "MTD" is inaccurate. MTD is Michael Tobias' company he started after leaving his involvement with Gibson. Growlers are Gibson/Tobiases.

"Tobias" is accurate. Not only was MT involved with the Gibson/Tobias instruments at least at the outset (I can't say about the Growler in particular), but MT sold his brand/name to Gibson - so they are Tobias instruments. Including the ones they are starting to make again this year, long after MT's departure.

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Did anyone notice the 5 string kingston someone was passing off as a mtd custom from mike that he made....:rolleyes: now that is misleading...and he knew it

steve

11. Yeah, I saw that Kingston. There was even a thread in the for sale forum that mentioned it and a couple of other tobias misinformation auctions. I emailed him about it and never heard back. The other one was a "Pre-Gibson" so I asked him for the serial number and he sent it to me - #3750 or something around there. Anybody with a brain bigger than a walnut can go read the article on Mike's site and figure that ain't a pre-Gibson. Oh well, Caveat Emptor as they used to say in Greece.

12. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i just hate ebay! just go to your local music shop ;)

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea, thats all I was saying. I wrote the guy and said he should probably just list it as a Tobias Growler 4, not an MTD and just to be safe, not to put Mike's name near it. I bought a Tobias Growler at one time under the assumption that it was a genuine Mike Tobias. That wasn't the whole reason, but thats what I thought.

14. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah...come and see my local music shops.:rolleyes:

15. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ebay is a good place to shop if you know exactly what you are looking for/looking at. And of course, if you always assume the description is gloryfying things 10%, if not widly inaccurate.

Pawn shops are the same way. There are two military bases around here with tons of pawn shops. 10 pawn shops yield nothing, while that 11th has some ridiculous deal you probably should jump on.

Ahhhh, used gear shopping.....

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've bought 3 basses and tons of other things off Ebay from cymbals to CD's and haven't had a problem. I've also sold 3 or 4 basses and a few effects pedals and some other things. I don't believe in glorifying things because I figure if I don't mention something, the person will find it when they get the item and then I'm screwed :) Hell I even mention the smallest scratch.

But you do have to do your research and know exactly what you want. Do research on price, how much you could get the item for new, and judge by the description and picture how much you think it would be fair to pay. Learn to ask questions on things that aren't clear or look alittle off. Also pay attention to the user's feedback. I almost got screwed on an item by a guy who had a lot of buyer feedback, but no seller feedback..I got my item but it was a hassle.

17. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    then the online musicshop is your best freind! [​IMG]

18. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Not really. When I travel I stop at every music store in the town I'm in. I also keep a large savings account just in case there is something nice. I understand your point.

19. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    roger that! [​IMG]

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Word.