This is a bad one.... (gig horror story)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Im a sock, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    So up until a week ago I was in a pretty decent hard rock band. We played shows and had a small following and just basically had fun.

We had a show last weekend and we got together at the drummer's house to load up our equipment and run through our newest song. When we began loading up our drummer informed us that for some reason his bass drum pedal was sticking to the bass drum, and he couldn't really play it. Apparently he had known about this problem for the past week but didnt do anything about it until 10 minutes before we left. He grabbed some rubbing alcohol and we left for the show.

After being hurried on stage by the sound guy, we opened with a short jam to warm up. Our drummer stopped in the middle of playing, threw his sticks on the ground and said he couldnt play with his drums, and he was pretty pissed. We told him to just douse the sticky stuff with rubbing alcohol so we could keep going.

So that was slightly embarassing, with the drummer throwing a little hissy fit on stage. But whatever, we let it go and played our first song. When we hit the last note of it, our drummer kicked all his drums off the drum platform and started screaming profanities and how he was so pissed and he couldnt play with those drums. The singer got so pissed at this he packed up his mic and left right away. The rest of us just kind of stood there on stage wondering what to do (the audience was completely silent as well - you could have heard a pin drop). The house lights went up, and music came through the PA speakers. We were finished.

How embarassing. Needless to say I'm looking for work now.
  2. wow...

thats about all i can say!
    what a show!
  3. That's an impressive one!

I played an out of town show once where our drummer forgot his hi-hat - no time to go back so he put his ride where the HH normally is and off we went. Your drummer could've probably played floor tom for the kick drum parts.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA, is your drummer 6 years old?

That's quite possibly one of the most pathetic stories I've read. :meh:

Good luck finding a group of adults to play with. :bassist:
  5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Wow! what a freakout. Nothing you can do about that my man. It's not anyone in the band's responsibility to keep the drummers kit in good repair. I've had stuff break during gigs and went home right after the gig and started working on it at 4am. I don't expect everyone to be that way but at least get it fixed before the next gig or borrow a replacement. I wish you luck at your new gig when you get it.
  6. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I know how you feel brother....

A few years back my band was playing a benifit show for the Salvation Army and at this point we didnt use a set list, all we knew was what song we were opening with. 3 songs into the show and eveything was going fine, Our drummer decided he wanted to play a insturmental ballad that he wrote on guitar (and we all really liked it). Mind you that we were a very heavy band, throwing a ballad 4th song into the set would have killed the momentum of the show. The other 4 of us decided no, and said hey why dont we play this other song and we'll get to yours later, a few choice words later he finally said ok, we start to play the song and he changes his mind... then he actually rams his sticks through every drum head on his kit, throws part of it flipped us and the crowed off, and simply walked off stage....

That was our last show as a band.....
  7. WOW! Sounds like you were probably better off with out him if he reacted like that to a collective decision of which song to play...also shows why it's always a good idea to have a set list in advance that everyone sticks to.
  8. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    We had a similar experience, ours went over quite well.

Our lead guitarist's pedal board was acting up, he got it working before the set so we went ahead with the show. First song starts with just drum and bass but once the guitar came in his board started acting up again. He got mad and threw his guitar at his stack, walked to the back stage area. Our other guitarist quickly jumped on the problem of the pedal board, our singer went to calm down the pissed off guitarist, the drummer and I continued to play the part we were playing and broke off into a few grooves to keep the ground on their feet. The singer and guitarist eventually come back onstage, our guitarist appoligised to the crowd and the three fix the board while the drummer and I continue playing. Once everything was fixed we went back to the song and the guitarist did his part as if nothing had happened and we played a great set.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow! I'm sorry, but that's about it, wow! :eek:
  11. Come on...why was it really sticky? What was he doing behind his drum kit???

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What nonsense. Anyone I ever play with acts like a child and throws a temper tantrum onstage, even once, and either he's gone or I'm gone.

Things happen, things break, malfunctions, etc. Its all inevitable. But you have to roll with it, act professionally, and cover the best you can.

Just a few weeks ago, I had my entire signal cut out right in the middle of a set. First guess was a pedalboard problem, after a quick glance. So, I pull the last cord from the pedalboard to the amp and go straight to the amp, problem solved. Life goes on, and most of the crowd didn't even notice. Now imagine the same scenario if I jumped up and down like a spoiled child . . . . :hyper:
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Temper tantrums rule. :rolleyes: :scowl: :eyebrow:

What a baby.
  14. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    That's the sickest drummer story yet.
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Uh... I don't think so!

This other guy has some serious problems!

That story IS a beaut'!

(edit) I remember working sound for a band once that had a goofy drummer. One show I noticed that he was pee'in into a beer pitcher while he sang 'Turn the Page'. I don't know if he did that often or not.
  16. I have to agree with Eric. If my guitar player did that, or drummer for that matter, after I had laughed my ass off at them for being so childish, they would be fired. End of story. There used to be a band up here, and sometimes, the band started a song and the singer wasn't finished doing his rockstar thing, he would grab all the guitar necks to silence them so he could go on rambling. If he did that to me once, it would be funny, 2nd time, I would grab his neck to silence him.
  17. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    LOL :hyper:
  18. Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    I always like it when pedal boards go bad, because most guitarist then go straight to their high end amps, and most guitarists sound better (even though they may not play better :) ) without a lot of effects making them sound like every other guitar player. :spit:

Why buy a $1200 amp, and then run through a $90 distortion pedal that makes you sound like every other guitar player with a $90 distortion pedal and a $150 amp?

We once practiced with a great guitar player - he used a Strat straight into a Deluxe reverb. Sounded dynamite, real distinctive. At the gig, he brought his really big rack - he still played great, but the sound was just average. What a waste of talent! :(

Sorry for the rant.
  19. I can't believe I missed this

Dang that was funny.

Got me thinking that maybe this is just the tip of the iceberg for this guy. If he's going into conniptions for an easily-solved problem, what's he going to do when life really throws him a curve?
  20. This is entirely too disturbing on so many levels: was it his pitcher or the bars? Considering how thorough bartenders are at washing pitchers, who gets the next pitcherful of beer? Does he leave it on the stage after or take it to the bathroom? Are gigs so long that you can't go beforehand, hold it during, and go afterward? What kind of a sick world is it when something like that could be considered a gimmick? If it's not a gimmick...that's just not cool.

/not currently peeing into a beer pitcher.