This is a great time to be a bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by shirojiro, Jan 9, 2002.

1. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Is it just me getting a clue? But doesn't it seem like there is a lot more bass gear on the market these days?

Even the "cheap" basses are nice now, and there are boutique basses with cheaper lines like Lakland Skylines, etc.

Amps are getting smaller and more powerful.

Effects are sounding better too.

Plus, all of the cool vintage gear is still out there if you like that stuff.

Maybe I'm finally happy with my basses, amps, and effects. (for the first time)
  2. I agree, but our stuff still costs just that little bit more than guitar stuff that makes it annoying.. Oh well all in time I suppose.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - in the late 70s and early 80s when I started playing seriously, there was very little about and there was no way to find out about it. No Bass-specific magazines - no internet!!

I had to go to London to see a Fender bass, which was hugely expensive and basically crap - 3-bolt neck joints and very poor construction. And any other US-made basses were just too expensive to even get imported! :(

I bought a Fender Mustang for quite a lot of money and it was almost the worst bass I have ever played - the only good thing about it was the re-sale value, when I traded it in for the first wave of Japanese basses that were pretty good.

Nowadays I have loads of choice and if I was starting now I could get a MIM Fender very reasonably that is better quality than the "real" Fenders I could buy then.