1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is a Guajira or a Son???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    )
    It is in 4/4 time changing the chords by 2 tempos. The Guajira is in 3/4...

Which style it is???
    I like it a lot...
    Can you recomend similar songs???

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's a guajira, which is a sub-variety of son. Every guajira I have ever heard was in 4/4. The 3/4 version mentioned on the Wikipedia page is something that only existed for a couple of decades, at the turn of the 20th century, and nobody has used the word that way since then. But the rhythmic main section of that recording is straight-up Cuban guajira. He called it "Clasica" because of the European classical-music sounding first part of the piece; "guajira clasica" is not a genre, just the title of the tune.

To hear some other great guajiras, check out the song "Oriente" as covered by many great artists like Henry Fiol (solo or with Saoco) or Grupo Folklorico y Experimental. Cachao had a few different ones, too. Eddie Palmieri's "Cafe Tostao y Colao" also has a strong guajira flavor, though not exactly traditional. I'll try to recall some more recommendations later.

3. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    As Bongomania said: its a Guajira in it's modern context as a sub-species of son. And a very nice one!

Don't you love how Cachao is very carefully changing tempo and feel somewhere after the 6 min mark?

4. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    For recommendations: what is it you like about this? Is it specifically the Guajira style or maybe son in general or is it the genius of Cachao? Lots of examples of Son out there and lots of clips of Cachao, who does the whole 'Cuban songbook' and then some. For good Guajira examples I'd have to look a bit further. (although Santana springs to mind, not exactly Son anymore :) )

5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Guajira is a son. But the guajira lyrics is about peasant life. e.g Im a poor lonesome cowboy and the love of my life left me etc.