Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is a long shot...bassist for "David Benoit"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Angus, Aug 8, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok, dont think ill get an answer, but here. My friend is gonna play on David Benoit's next CD, (hes 15!), and got backstage passes to go meet him when he came to concert here. Well, he saw the concert, and came back, and told me about it. One thing intrigued me...HIS BASSIST USED A 12 STRING! Not a triple octafve 4 string... they were 12 individual strings. Now i know on his CD's he uses Steve Bailey and Kim Stone, but anybody know who the guy is for his tour? I havent been able to figure it out. If anyone know who he is, do you know what he uses? I would think possibly Warr, because they make none Touch guitars, or maybe even Conklin, or just a random custom. Help anyone?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks JT. You a fan of his or something?

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nope, just curious as well.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, jealous? Another form of penis [bass] envy i suppose! And dude, i get to go to the studio with them when they record next time! I get to meet Steve Bailey and people. Yay! Hehe. Yeah, ill tell you who it is immediately...say...whos that conklin endorser guy anyway?

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think that is probably either a warr guitar or a stick, or a doubled 6 string. but yeah, let me know, i'm curious about what's going on with it, for the simple reason that if it is 12 individual strings, it might have a string lower than an F#, in which case the individual who owns the instrument is getting his strings somewhere that i have never heard of. if _that's_ the case, then i want to know where, so i can get some bigger ones too.

the biggest i've been able to find are the .150" that i use. i would love to find bigger.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, my friend said its INDIVIDUAL 12 strings, not a double six. Whats this "stick" you speak of?! And yeah, ill check on tuning and strings and thing ASAP. JT...tell me about your strings? Steel? Sound? Ive heard good things about Dean Markley...they make nickel's in custom gauges? I want a .135 B, and D'addario only does in a tapered .135, unless i go to .145, which i think i might try. What say you?