1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

this is a long thread, but bear with me...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by joebar, Apr 9, 2010.

1. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i am in new country type original band. i am the bassist and i sing too. through my networking i found a really good singer/ songwriter gal who was on her way to promoting herself as a solo artist. she wanted to see what having a band behind her would be like.
    i handpicked the musicians i wanted to be in the project and it is very good musically speaking. we have played a few shows, and written a number of good songs along with the back catalog she brought into the project.
    before we entered the picture, she had started recording a full length album with this certain recording studio / production company. she has already recorded basic scratch tracks on it, and invested around $2000.
    since we really believe in the quality of some of our material, one of the members suggested that we record a few really good solid tunes for what we could afford and that way, we would have the key promotional tool in our hands. finishing her entire record is very lofty and unrealistic because none of us are in the position to contribute this much money, and also because half of the songs she has chosen for the record are weak and redundant IMHO.
    i would rather spend a little and take a calculated risk, than to spend a lot and possibly fail.

she suggested that we have a fundraiser to raise capital for the recording of her full album. i have a problem with this for many reasons including that it appears to be glorified panhandling at best.

again, i say we record a few songs that we can sfford out of our own pockets and see if we cannot generate some momentum with this small, realistic goal. then later we can worry about her album.

we don't see ourselves as a pub band. we are all around 40 on average. we are very good musicians. i can see that the demise of this band could be everything else but the music.
    we are stupid enough to believe that we should shoot higher than the average band and get some music well recorded, and perhaps shop it around, get it online, radio etc. it seem like the next logical step...

i need feedback from the experienced players out there who are better equipped inter-personally than i am.

she is stubborn and most of the time it doesn't sound like she hears the rest of us. i am tired and exhausted from her always calling me and tired of constantly banging heads with her about different viewpoints on everything. since it was her and I that started this project, i am the go to man for almost everything. the other two members are not bothered half as much as i am.
    i told her how i felt and said that we need managemnet to steer us because i am not qualified, and i am tired of her running me over all the time with her crazy ideas.
    i play devil's advocate a lot of the time because i am grounded , logical and realistic and she is ...well... a very excitable, emotional woman.

from your objective point of view, what does it sound like to you?

2. Billminpa

Billminpa

May 19, 2008
    Eastern PA
    It sounds like a waste of time & money. At an average age of 40 you all missed your mark at superstardom. Be happy making music and a few bucks. Hopefully more rather than less. Establish yourselves as a local favorite and sell CD's at the gig. That's the best you can hope for. Play on into old age.

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i agree with you ; that thought did occur to me.

i guess you could have the best music around but if you are over the hill, it may not get anywhere...
    i often worry about our singer gal because she looks a little beat up for her age, where the rest of us look really good for ours.

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    If she already started her own album without you guys, then it's not your responsibility to finish it for her. This also means that if she goes on teh road, you may not be invited, but it seems that this is not your biggest concern. I hate to put it this way, but make an ultimatum. She either tows the line with you as a group, or she can go solo.

Also, use reason to explain to her that her wild ideas are imparactical, but nerver say you are being reasonable or call yourself reasonable. if she simply can't operate with the entire group in mind, you haven't lost much when she leaves.

Also, I understand that recording can be pricy, but $2k seems steep for scratch tracks. is it a down payment sor of thing, or is that a racked up total of hours spent plus tracks worked by the engineer?

Is there any reason that she would feel that she is the frontwoman for the band, because it sounds like a colaborative effort to me. If you can't share goals and expectations, there are other singer/songwriters with more amiable personalities.

5. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    Recording a full length out the gate is foolish at best. Make a 5 song sampler and send it around if your really dedicated. I don't think you've missed your "mark" for anything. KT Tunstall didn't get a recording contract until she was in her 30's. Just remember to have fun with the music no matter what- thats what's really important.

6. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Probably a stupid idea but, go around to different community sites, Twitter, Facebook, Myspace and Bandzoogle I think its called (its advertised on talkbass) and just set up a band profile on each, make friends with local bars and dives and build stable "investments. No offense but your right your not experienced enough to manage or steer the band, not your fault, you cant sing, play bass, and get gigs, manage money and advertise the band all by yourself. So maybe search around, maybe find a friend that took an economics class in high school or college. Options are endless. No band gets signed over night. Antoher way to get your music out there, tape your shows and put them on youtube then link them to myspace. Get your word out, thats the best way. As for her being a "diva" where it sounds like its her way or no way let it go in one ear and out the other. If the playing aint broke dont fix it. Worse comes to worse take the guys you found and seperate from her make your own name, you sing anyway. I dont know if this helps but just a few ideas for you.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You have a girl in the band....what did you think was going to happen?

Nothing wrong with having a block party / fundraiser to get your project off the ground. I'd pay $5 to see you gig....$10 if the gal is drop-dead gorgeous.

Riis

8. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Don't put any of your money in the deal unless you have writing credits and probably not even then.. If you don't you're a side man so step aside.

If by chance any of the tunes take off, the writers will be the only ones making out on the deal.

9. +1.

Maybe it's different in country music but I don't think so. Young, new, cutting edge, blahblahblah; it's the same for writers, actors, and musicians of all genres.

Have a good time, don't sweat making it big.

10. In the mainstream. On pop-country radio. If you guys put forth enough effort and keep it fun, you could get a heck of a following going in your/circling states. Regional success is still a great feeling

The only problem would be if her "beat-up" self still thinks she's gonna get a top10 Billboard hit and gold album.

11. IF anything, co-writing with her and keeping it as your band might be the best way to go. By what you said, she just wants a backup band for HER stuff, even if the co-writing is going well.

Guest in eachothers projects and @ shows... team up for shows... teaming up never hurts... but inter-band conflict like that destroys lives, T3000 style.

12. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    the 2K is more of a good faith down payment from what i can gather. i can see why she cannot walk away from that deal she made.
    there are contradictions; she says she wants us to be a band and help write songs and whatever, but then she gets really particular about future songwriting credits- very particular.
    i can see the potential for problems there already.
    i realize there are some bands that decide to split everything evenly because if everyone contributes, then what is the big deal?
    she says you can't do it that way. i say why not? helluve lot easier than splitting the pie to the nth degree.
    she says it isn't all about her, but some things don't add up...
    i wonder if it isn't all about getting her record done at tany cost even if it hurts people. i always want to believe the best in people but...

13. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    good point-what did i expect? sometimes i wish she had significant other as it would divert some of the attention away from myself...
    i am happily married to an excellent woman snd i really don't need two lol.
    and it sounds like you will be making a 5 dollar donation and not ten...

14. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    I just wanted to comment on the recording part. She spent 2K on scratch tracks? I agree with Mooselumps, seems pricey. And if some of the songs are weak, its probably a waste of money. She'd be better off, IMO, just recording her best original songs and also recording a few covers to fill up an album. No shame in doing a cover of a great song.

I know a guy who has portable recording equipment and can record a show, or at a rehearsal space. Then he can mix the recording on his computer programs at home. He turns out a pretty good product and he's more than reasonable on price.

Can you find someone like that in your area? My band is probably going to do this very thing for our demo.

15. Yea. 2K is almost halfway towards a lower-grade Professional album.

16. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    well that's just it; i have heard some of the finished product coming out of this studio and i must admit, it is professional grade; better than i expected. however, i would still rather record 3 to 5 great songs for half the cost IMHO.

17. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Best-case scenario: Whomever owns the songs (i.e. the "Writer" credit) gets "signed" to a label. 1st thing that label does is assign a Producer. 1st thing that producer does is put together a whole new "band" made up of people he knows & has worked with before to record the "real" album, tour, etc.

Where does that leave you? Outside looking in, is where!

& that's the best-case scenario!

18. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i have considered that too. i guess ultimately, if we can't just have simple fun playing music, then we probably won't last .
    i know that i enjoy live gigs, but some of the others want to shoot a little higher.
    i have suggested that our singer possibly shop her tunes around because there is potential there. she could do very well at that without being age- discriminated against.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Wouldn't fundraiser = gig? I sure don't consider it panhandling when people pay money to hear my band. If you're as good as you say you are, a half-dozen gigs might pay for whatever you need. Maybe even a dermal peel for your singer.