Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is a plea...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sal_Paradise, Jul 13, 2004.

1. G'Day! This is my first day on TB, and so far so good! Loving it. Ooh yeah. Mmmhmm. Suh-weet. Ummm... Fabu... tastic... :confused:

Anyway, I'm planning on building a few basses for myself and some friends. Now, I've done a lot of setups and repairs from my basement, but never built one from the ground up. As far as the body is concerned, not a problem. Made a couple of those already. But the neck is another story. Don't really trust myself to do one at this point in the game. I've been to Warmoth and Carvin and USACG and StewMac and WhoTheMan and LotsaStuff and NecksAreGood and... yeah. I've been everywhere. And nowhere can I find the options that I want. 35" or 36" scales can't be found anywhere! Neither can 24 frets without the fb flailing out over the body. So, I was wondering if there was anyone who made necks. Not exclusively, but... ya know. Not replacement necks, but custom necks.

Mucho respecto to all ye luthiers!

Cheers! Thanks a bunch for reading :smug:

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just wanted to put in a good word for Michael Dolan.

I've owned a guitar and a bass made by him and they were both great. I know he'll make you a neck to your specs.

check out http://www.dolanguitars.com/

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Tell me a bit more about the neck you are looking for. 4,5,6, or 8 string? What kind of woods? etc. etc.........t

4. Sal,

Welcome to TB! Strap in, it's going to be a real ride.

Your question poses some problems for discussion here. Whereas it's been posed simply for finding someone to do some work, it could also draw responses that violate our rules for non-commerciality.

So, I'll caution everyone to avoid discussion of pricing, features, availability, or delivery of your products or services. IF you want to help a brutha out, then by all means hit him up through PM.

Thanx

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs

+1 Dolan does awsome work

6. Merci to all who have responded!

Hambone, many apologies to you and the forum, sir. It won't happen again. What it be stepping on too many toes to ask what the best way to go about finding someone would be?

7. We can recommend guys all day long...They just can't recommend themselves :D

Dolan is good...real good

I would also look to Greg Curbow - he makes some of the most stable necks in the world.

8. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    dolan has made the most awsome mosaic'ed togather wood basses ive ever seen......just absoultly awsome.