1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This is a summary of ur new Fender choices. What is for you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BeefPie84, Nov 10, 2019.

1. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Squier
    Original
    Artist
    Pro
    Classic
    Deluxe
    Player
    Performer
    Vintera
    Ultra

Which one is for you?

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  2. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I really like the Duff McKagan basses. They are slick. The old Frank Bello bass was killer too. The rest of the Artist line doesn’t do much for me. The American Performer P looks like a pretty decent setup. It needs a noiseless J pickup though. The American Pro is a nice bass that I would probably enjoy owning, I’m just not sure if it’s better or even equal to the former American Standard. The Aerodyne is under the Deluxe line, and it’s awesome too.

I don’t know if I like specific lines or models. Pretty much any P/Jwith a C shaped neck that’s 1.625” at the nut will work for me. And the string through on the American Standard/Pro P with the way they just seem to work with a GK head in a band just does it for me.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Can't I just get a Precision or Jazz bass???

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  4. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Out of those I'd take a Pro Jazz or an Elite Precision. I'm very happy with my two American Standards. The last line to be fully MIA.

Lovep and Catbuster like this.
  5. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I like the Jazz V s that weigh less than 9 lbs.

Oh wait...

6. BlackCatBassman

BlackCatBassman Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Feels like a bloated product range. I can't keep them all straight honestly, the names don't exactly tell you what each one is. Wish list though:

> P-Bass
    > Painted neck
    > Headstock matched to body color
    > P/J pickup setup
    > Rosewood fretboard
    > Made in America

Oh and set up from the factory. It's shameful that $400 Schecters play better than anything the big F has to offer when you take it off the wall to try it out.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    None of the above.
    I've got all my Fender slots filled with the 5 I already own. Completely uninterested in what they're making now.

8. I have a Squier Standard PJ, and a parts bass made from a Affinity P body (OG, when it was still just a P bass) and a MIM Standard J neck. At this rate, if I get another it will probably be a used player, whenever they replace it with whatever comes next. :laugh:

I still kinda want to get one of the Modern Player Jazz basses, with the double J pickups....
    69D81439-0562-47C9-9E18-B2BE1B236B6C.

Kukulkan61 and herndonbassist like this.
  9. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    They don't make standard anymore? Isn't passive MIM a standard?

Spidey2112 and pellomoco14 like this.
  10. It’s Player now

11. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Huh. Is MIM active still deluxe? I see deluxe on the list.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  12. I think so. Both the Precision Special and Jazz Deluxe listed now on Sweetwater are active, MIM. There was an older Precision Special, MIM, but passive. They’re always recycling these names! :banghead:

Trouztrouz likes this.
  13. there, fixed it! :) ;)

14. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I have a Pro Jazz, 8.5 lbs. Think I’ll keep it for a while.

Yonni likes this.
  15. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    None of the above

16. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Nada... :sour:

JRA and NecroticImbecil like this.
  17. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Ill take a Sire and invest the rest in beer

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    this is my kind of Fender

DSCF0827.JPG

19. You're already our of date: the Classic series is now called Vintera.

20. For me, I'm often intrigued by the remarkable interest in 50's / 60's vintage Fenders in that they were designed to be remarkably inexpensive basses: Relatively simple woodworking and modest wood choices, with average for their day electronics and hardware.

So for me, the better Squiers fit that vibe and suit me just fine. I personally don't see or feel a 10x or 20x increase in any real capability in their vast range of prices and more expensively built versions . . . . . . of the same things. I'd just as soon have some Squiers, pick out and upgrade parts where I see fit for what I want, and save my money for other things.

In 40-odd years, I've never seen a direct parallel between how much a bass costs and the music it's capable of making, and this from a former Alembic owner: I've seen guys with basses and rigs that cost as much of car not find their ass with both hands, and seen guys with rigs that were almost laughably cheap that just sang and owned the room.

(BTW, is it just me, or have I yet to see someone complaining that their Squier is 'too heavy'?)

Glenn Mac, Ggaa, mattj1stc and 10 others like this.