1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is all so confusing..

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Aug 13, 2012.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    I currently use a 20$ behringer uch102 interface to practice on the pc and it just doesn't do justice to my p bass...

I want to use my mesa walkabout's di instead for better sound quality but have no clue as to what i need to make this work.. Software and hardware wise..

By what i read i "think" what i need is a better audio interface?? Which i'm not so sure cause i don't really know what inputs and outputs i need, nor what cables to use or what goes into what.. It's very confusing for a beginer..

Can somebody explain what i need to use the amp with my pc or how to get better sound quality than my sh!tty behringer interface?? And how would i do it?

2. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    best cheap interface I ever used was an M-audio 610, you would come out of your DI right into the back inputs, or you can plug your bass direct into the front 2 inputs, they have a DI built into them! Get any interface that has an "Instrument" input, that means you can plug strait in without an amp or DI,If you want to use your DI OUT, you would go into the inputs that ARE NOT instruments inputs...good luck!

3. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    Thanks that was very clear

One last thing if the interface has a headphone out i can use the amps di out into the interface with no need to plug the interface in the pc to just practice on the amp with headphones right?

Cause the amp has no headphones output

4. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    .most of today's interfaces have a software mixer on the computer and gets all of its info from that, so it may not work the way you want it to.

5. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    You're mlst likely going to havr to plug it into the PC to power the interface. U less it has its own dedicated power supply, but that's not very common.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What you're looking for is called "hardware monitoring" or "input monitoring." This is commonly achieved by putting a monitoring path in between the preamp and the AD. This is not a feature common to many interfaces. Most of the time, the monitoring section is tied into the main output, which occurs immediately after the DA.

In other words, with most interfaces, if you don't plug it into the computer, and let the audio pass through the converters, you won't get any sound out of your monitors/headphones.

7. What you want is this little baby. XLR input from your amps DI, headphone jack for private practicing, input for mp3 player, and external power so that you don't have to turn on your computer to use it.

Oh, you want to record into the PC using your amp? Sure, it has a USB interface. And, did I mention its only $59? Nice little unit.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Q502USB.aspx