1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is an extreme request

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Shy Guy, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    Ok TB, I have to write a research paper on the spread of Christianity to Northern and Eastern Europe,being highly uneducated on the topic I find it hard to come up with primary sources as evidence and require help in finding a point to start at as I know nothing of the topic. I believe within the collective intelligence of the minds of TB someone knows information on this topic.

2. If I needed to "write" a research paper I would first do some research. Have you tried Google?

3. the Vikings adopted christianity to help them in their trading efforts with other populations. It's well documented and makes for interesting reading, might be a good starting point.

4. This paper is due tomorrow isn't it?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I normally try to avoid being the spelling/grammar cop these days, but since you're talking about writing a paper, note that it's spelled "writing".

A lot of the Northern and Eastern spread of Christianity came via the Holy Roman Empire. If you look up documents describing the spread of the Empire, you will also have found your source material.

6. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    Haha, I apologize, I wrote this quickly and am very tired. Also I have already done multiple searches on online encyclopedias, source catalogs, and the obligatory google, I ask this question only to get a foothold for research as my efforts have been vain.

You'd think so, but it's due maybe a month from now.

7. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    Thanks for that, again I apologize for the error. Would you happen to have any knowledge of its spread to Russian areas? As Russia and many Eastern European nations were not under Roman rule under Constantin's era it becomes harder to find information not regarding obvious information.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You have everything you need in 8 posts. Go.

10. Northern, Eastern Europe: Klingons.

Christianity: Shatner.

You now have all you need.

11. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    Scholar.google.com is your friend. Start reading.

12. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Christianity rooted in Norway around the end of our time of greatness, the Viking age (793, attack on Lindisfarne - 1066, the battle of Stamford Bridge). But it had been present for some time before the end (present from maybe around year 800), but because the Vikings were hard-ass pagans, the christianity-wave that spread though Europe around years 700-800 never infulenced Norway. In 1030 Olav Haraldsson was slain that the battle of Stiklestad and declared holy within a year of his death, and his remnants put in the Nidaros Church in Trondheim (thus named Olav the Holy (directly trnsl. "Olav den Hellige")). A decade previous to this 4 English bishops went to Norway to help the people convert. At that time however, many that said they were Christians, lived not as Christians (probably spurred by the converting-by-sword (it was BRUTAL) Olav Trygvasson had been doing prior to his death in year 1000). I'd say Christianity took over as the main religion around 1030 with the fall of the holy Olav. The pagan/christian-transition was one of the defining factors of the Viking age/early middle age-change.

To sum it up: Olav Trygvasson did converting by sword (in years 990-1000), Olav the Holy (Saint Olaf I think his english name is) fell (1030) and was declared a saint (thus helping Christianity as a symbol) and is I believe largely accounted for the chrisitianisation of Norway), the Viking age ends (1066) and christianity is completely enforced by a strong chruch and kings using it to control the people.

This is from the top of my head, so I can't link sources :( I'll go find some.

http://www.norway.org.uk/facts/religion/general/gereral.htm

http://www.personal.ceu.hu/students/97/Roman_Zakharii/norway-church.htm (?)

http://deedsofgod.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=152 ["Let's face it - these guys were one of the Viking peoples. They were the terror of Europe for several centuries. We've heard that the old Irish prayers often included "....and God save us from the fury of the Northmen.""] ^_^

Can't help you with the other nordic countries and eastern uerope though, I'm pretty much blank on those countries.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I believe that Christianity was introduced into Eastern Europe around the 900's. Poland adopted it in 966, from there it spread into Lithuania. Russia, Ukraine and Belorus adopted it in 988.

Just start googling, sheesh. Here are a few phrases to google:
    "origins of Christianity in Eastern Europe"
    "origins of Christianity in Northen Europe"
    "origins of Christianity in Slavic Europe"
    "origins of Christianity in Nordic Europe"
    etc etc...
    your google-fu sux :)

14. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    If you need to turn to an online forum of bass players for research guidance in the subject of religion then our institutions of higher learning here is the USA are in worse shape than I thought.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but why don't you use all of the tools at your disposal in your school, or even Google, as many others have suggested? There's always the library as well. You're supposed to be learning how to find information, and you're looking for others to do it for you.

OTOH, maybe you're just destined to have a job in upper management :D

15. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Once you get web page results, try to consult the books they refer to. Wikipedia is usually a good start to get references.

16. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    Alas you have me down pat, and I do work well managing others :). I am not exactly the smartest of people some might say, before I came here I tried all of my school resources and google (I can't help it, I'm just terrible at searching efficiently) I came to TB for guidance not for information, but for a start; as over the years (actually been here since 2005-06)I believe a collective group of intellectual and helpful individuals have revealed themselves. And as Maki put it I now have enough information to start on so thanks to all :)

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Dude, this is an internet message board, so there is bound to be misinformation. Out of my benevolence, I'll help.

Forget the Vikings, Start Trek and all that other crap.

There were some hot nuns in Italy from the order of St. Vegeina that decided to go and be missionaries to the north. Back then, nuns didn't wear the black gowns like today. Back then they wore flirty sun dresses to show their glory. So they wandered the countryside, and naturally men would follow, not knowing of their vows of celibacy. The nus would get the men to convert in hopes of getting some. But when it came time to seal the deal the guys would become despondent and would turn to drinking. To make matters worse, these hottie nuns would recruit other local hotties for their mission. BTW, the wine Blue Nun was named after this order because they blue-balled guys and caused them to drink.

Anyway, back to history. So there's a bunch of blue-balled drunks all over Europe who are pissed off at these nuns. Some of them became so pissed off at women, they took a vow of celibacy themselves. Thus, monks were born. But those were only a select few, and much of Europe faced unrest because of of a bunch of sexually frustrated drunks and roaming bands of blue-ballers. The leaders at the time looked for many solutions until one day Balsac The Great of Nova Scrotia decided to open churches where they could get all these drunks together and teach them some morals. But, the issue was how to get the folks in. So, Balsac decided to make wine a part of the activity. Drunks gathered to these events, and learned how to live good lives. The problem were the roving bands of blue-ballers who would only reverse what the church was trying to do. So, another leader, King Anoos of Lower Bungaria made an edict that all nuns would have to don black from head to toe, and all hotties would have to be removed from the order. So, all of a sudden all the hotties had to become wives, leaving with the order with just some former hotties that aged too much and gained too much weight.

Later research has indicated that some of those nuns weren't as celibate as thought, which contributed to another phenomena in Europe - The Black Plague. But that's a whole other story.

Anyway, that's all you need for you to get an A on your paper.

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    :D

19. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY

Here's a REAL Extreme request for you.