1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike in Chicago, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I know I'm a dinosaur, but after hanging around here for awhile and reading about how great guys like Cliff Burton and Jason Newstand are tell me...how the hell is this bass playing?

It's like I've been saying all along...it's the "bad guitar player has to switch to bass to stay in band and continues to play the guitar...badly, with a bass in his hands" syndrome.

Jason Newsted AMAZING bass solo! - YouTube

2. that sounds like crap...

3. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I must say the riff he gets going somewhere past the halfway mark IS pretty hot. The tone is just awful?

IMHO

4. watch how fast i can go with this picky thing! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

5. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    That was just awful!
    I am always amazed when I see someone like this and realize how much money he is making.
    Even more amazing are all the little dweebs who idolize and want to be just like him.
    I would rather listen to chainsaws, babies crying and dogs barking!

6. xfretlessx

xfretlessx

Dec 17, 2010
    Mohawk, NY
    wow. how is that an AMAZING solo? that was so bad i couldnt get through more than 30 sec. Total crap. Someone should take his bass away

7. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
  8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    You guys realize that solo is about 20 years old? Yeah it sounds like crap, but i dont think Newsted was going for a wooten kind of thing either. Watch his cunning stunts solo...its much better.

9. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    U jelly?

10. xfretlessx

xfretlessx

Dec 17, 2010
    Mohawk, NY
  11. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    That was worse than bad. It made my teeth itch. :scowl:

12. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    What makes him a guitar player playing bass?

13. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    So why is he a guitar player playing bass? Is it because he is using a pick or because he is soloing? I played guitar for nearly 20 years before switching to bass but I now consider myself a bass player who also plays guitar.

14. very boring.

he's fast, but that's it.

again, very very boring.

it's metal. so i'm not surprised. :D

15. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Totally unjustifiable abuse of an Alembic..that CLEARLY wasn't the guitar's fault!! :D

16. Despite that clip, Jason is actually an excellent bass player. Bass solos were never his thing. With Metallica, the bass solo had become a part of the live show thanks to Cliff (for whom soloing was part of who he was as a bass player), so they decided to keep up the tradition by giving a solo spot to Jason.

Of course, in Metallica, Jason had to to what he was told.

17. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I find it funny how much people are talking over a Newsted solo when hes probably been the most meat and potatoes bassist Metallica has ever had.

18. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
  19. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Must play bass riffs on a bass. Ill make sure to remember that one.

20. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I was never fond of Newstead, but don't throw Cliff Burton under the bus!:rolleyes: You can't hear most of the cool stuff that Cliff plays thanks to the tools that engineered Metaillica (and most 80's metal) keeping it out of the mix. For the style of music he was playing, Cliff was pretty damn good.
    Solos, on the other hand, well there is plenty of good bass players who dont' play great solos.