1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is bugging me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kevcooke, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Fender MIA Jazz - Maple fingerboad

50 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. Fender MIA Jazz - Rosewood fingerboard

47 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Fender MIA Precision - Maple fingerboard

25 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Fender MIA Precision - Rosewood fingerboard

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Hi

I can't bloody decide between a Fender MIA Jazz or MIA Precision, let alone whether to go rosewood or maple fingerboard!! I've tried both MIA Jazz and Precision, they both sound awesome and feel awesome, but they are both so different. I play in a band that does counting crows kinda stuff, sometimes a little heavier.

http://www.myspace.com/kevcooke

The song, Free For The Moment, is a live recording of a pretty crappy gig. I think we learnt not to play while so drunk... The first album recordings are pretty dull, and more acoustic based but if you want to hear them http://www.myspace.com/terrapintrainstation

Now considering the kind of music I'm into and enjoy playing, which would you guys choose?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    dunno about the sound, but i would love a maple fretboarded bass with black block inlays

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Go rosewood. You don't need a bright bass for Counting Crows if I remember their sound correctly.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Get a Jazz with a maple board...AND a Precision with a rosewood board. That way you'll have both ends of the tonal continuum covered - bright and snappy AND warm and tubey...

MM

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I've always been partial the Precision myself. That hollow round sound just seems to cut through well in rock situations.

Better yet, find a P-Bass with a J bridge pickup. That's what I have (Hot Rodded P-bass MIA), although I am not sure if they make them anymore. I have tried the American Deluxe Precisions and they feel really nice too.

6. go with a MIA p bass with a maple neck... i used to have one and i love it so much, it was the dumbest choice i made to sell it, but at least i got a good price for it. Nice warm tubey tone.

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    A Jazz with the Series/Parallel mod will get very close to the sound of a P. You'll have two basses in one with that setup.

I'd go with a maple neck, whatever you choose. You'll have the brightness if you want it, and if not you can always tone it down.

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I went the totally self-biased route and voted maple Jazz because that's likely to be my own next bass. ;)

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think you'll be more indecisive after you find the results of this poll.

Rosewood Jazz gets my vote. Save up for the rosewood P after that...

10. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    imo, rosewood is as bright or brighter than maple. my mia jazz with maple board is very warm sounding. i have several jazzes with rosewood boards that are much brighter sounding. one has a ash body and the other is alder but they sound similar. it really doesn't matter which one you choose, you can eq it anyway you want to get get what ever tone you are looking for. with creative eq-ing my ash body jazz w/rosewood will do stanley clarks tone from school days with no problem. of course alot of other basses will too but we're talking fenders here. anymore it just depends on asthetics. you can't go wrong with a p or a j. peace, jeff

11. voted for the p with the rosewood played at guitar center one fell in love but couldnt afford it now its gone:crying:

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    ummm.... how about a bass with a P/J configuration?

13. +1

14. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I own and gig with 3 of your 4 choices... J's of both flavors and rosewood P.

I vote rosewood P. If you can sit down w/ both a maple and rw P and then decide, even better.

15. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    personally, I like the Jazz with Maple fingerboard better cause I find that for a bass to cut through the mix it needs some highs... i mean, its called a bass cause it sounds bassy anyways, right? since Jazz's normally sound brighter and maple also adds to that, I'd say go for the Jazz with maple board!

16. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Find something without a pickguard. Pickguards sound bad and look bad.

17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I love jazz basses but my MIA P bass maple fret board always sounds great in the mix plus I love the wider neck of a P bass.

18. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    pickguards sound bad? what do you mean?:confused:

19. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Well, that comment was little tongue in cheek. But seriously, who wants a bass made with plastic? I have heard so many of them rattle or buzz. My basses are wood with pickups and hardware - no mother-of-toilet-seat screwed to the face of it. And even Fender offers some basses without pick guards these days. Still, each to his own...

20. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    OK. You never know when some guy will say he can hear the difference between a bass with or with out a pick guard.