Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is classic...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    ELEVEN RULES OF LIFE

Rule 01:Life is not fair - get used to it.

Rule 02:The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will! expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 03: You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 04: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 05: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping -- they called it opportunity.

Rule 06: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 07: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So, before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try dousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 08: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, But life has not. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 09: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

2. Stuff like this is wise and has a good purpose, but it's written in such a harsh, arrogant way that I cringe whenever I see it.

If you give this to some kids, they will take it as proof that life sucks and will fail to see the point in ever entering the "real world". Perhaps we should take them out and shoot them because they're not being productive? ala Idi Amin?

3. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I don't find it as much harsh as being brutally honest.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I would think that people that find it harsh are not ready for what these say, maybe hitting to close to home? Everything here is true so far in my life...

P@

5. yeah, it's true - Edit by Jazzbo. Calling people name's isn't nice.

When I read that list (I've seen it before) I get a mental image of my dad screaming at me telling me I'm stupid for not knowing this already, even though nobody ever taught me a **** thing and I had to learn it all myself.

Editorial by Jazzbo, because I can. Nobody ever taught you anything???? Nice. Real nice. You're truly demonstrating maturity here. A little perspective and less hyperbole would help your cause.

Besides, it's confrontational. Kids don't respond to confrontational tactics from adults. They rebel against what the adult is trying to teach, or cower in fear. Either way you don't accomplish what you set out to accomplish, so this list is therefore written for the amusement of adults who've had a hard life and feel smug about it.

More Jazzbo Editorial. I seem to feel that my amusement, especially at the expense of kids, is pretty dern important. Teenagers are funny creatures.

6. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    maybe a slight change?

"life is unfair; what you want to do is make life unfair in your favor."

7. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    That's your interpretation of the list. It's all in how it's revceived by the reader. If you envision your father yelling at you, then the truths that are told in this list are going to effect you negatively. Not everyone is going to have the same take on this as you. I don't see this as being confrontational at all.

8. I just think it comes off as a smug bastard of a parent telling their kid how stupid and ignorant they are in advance.

Every adult has to take responsibility for themselves. It's not some magical special thing, it's a fact of life. Growing up does not make you superior. Kids are kids, adults are adults.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's just because you're not 15 anymore. Don't tell me you were that mature at that age.

10. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I never said I was. I don't see your point.

11. I'm not 15, either. I've managed to get out from a pretty nasty home situation and make a life for myself. People do this every day, and people deal with real world BS every day, so I don't feel like this gives me the right to look down on young people. I wish I could be a teenager and relatively carefree again, but I wouldn't want to be as big of a dork as I was..

12. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I completely agree with what you are saying about adults taking responsibility for themselves, but isn't it also the responsibility of adults to help teach and guide kids as best we can.

I also agree that growing up does not make anyone more superior than any other person. Age is certainly not a baromoter for a persons maturity or respect for other people.

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Rule 01: Life is not fair - get used to it.

Too true. I'm working on it.

Rule 02: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

The world may not care about your level of self-esteem, but you should, whether you've "accomplished" anything or not. Set your own goals and don't let anyone else tell you that you haven't accomplished anything, because they don't think your goals are worth bragging about. Personally, I think surviving in this effed up world is reason enough to pat yourself on the back.

Rule 03: You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

I don't know about this one. The kids that go to the high school near my house have better cars than I do and I've been working since I was 14! Also, everyone and their mother has a cell phone nowadays. I think kids get a phone long before they can drive.

Rule 04: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

My kids' teacher isn't so tough. "Hey, you got it right! Good for you. Oh, you got it wrong. We'll work on that again next year."

Rule 05: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping -- they called it opportunity.

The next time I see a 70-year-old retiree mopping floors and wiping tables at McDonald's, I'm gonna remember this one. See rule number one.

Rule 06: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

This can be true, unless you're dealing with a baby that was born addicted to crack, or with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

Rule 07: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So, before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try dousing the closet in your own room.

I dunno -- I've seen my mom's old record collection!

Rule 08: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Schools today are just as much about winners and losers than they ever were. What this should say is, "Nothing you did in high school matters in the real world. Life doesn't care if you were the star of the football team, or the Homecoming King and Queen three years in a row. Once you graduate, it's a whole new ballgame." See rule number one.

Rule 09: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Again, too true. Although, if you bust your ass at your job long enough, you can earn yourself a forty hour vacation. Woo-hoo!

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Yeah! How come people on TV never have to go to the bathroom? How come those big, buff dudes on those soap operas never go to a gym?

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

Yeah, my boss is a nerd and not the funny kind, like in Revenge of the Nerds either. See rule number one and rule number eight.

14. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    As a 16 year old, I have to say that the above list really doesn't scare or shock me..... It's just a list of facts that have to be delt with, writing it all in one condecending list makes it no more true, just more impactful. I know what life is in the real world, I have to deal with it EVERY day and trust me, I have to deal with MAJOR crap. I think that if you started posting this on the walls of high schools in the US, kids would start killing themselves on mass. No offence to Americans or the American way of life, but kids in the US are way overprotected from the "Real World". I grew up in Houston, and it was great, not a worry in the world, but when it dawned on me that my life in the US was one big dream world I got really depressed.... it's a great way to live as a kid but it screws you over for the future. I think that the list is COMPLETE CRAP and that it is just a way for adults to warn the youth that they should enjoy the procted life they live while they still can (like I said, it comes out a little condecending) but that the light at the end of the tunnel (after college for you guys) is pretty dark. Thanks for the advice, but I didn't learn anything new and it just sorta pisses me off that adults always have to tell us kids how crappy it's gonna be in a few years; I KNOW THAT LIFE SUCKS BUT LET ME ENJOY MY CAREFREE LIFE FOR NOW!!!!

15. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Life isn't dark or scary once you "grow up", just different. It's about responsibility and appreciating what you have, which many youger people already do.

There are many different ways to interpret this list and to each his own, but life and your own happiness is ultimately what you as an individual make of it.

16. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    That list is amusing, especially when put in a context such that hategear did.. I must admit I chuckled, but being a 31 year old who refuses to fully grow up, some of it may still apply!

That list is light comedy and shouldnt be used as a handbook! I mean come on! Rule 1 is fairly cliche and everyone knows all the "Life is..." statements well enough anyways for that to be common sense. Rule 2? Rule 2 is the old product of the environment one, where society will not acknowledge even the most meagher of accomplishments with anything but a shrug of the shoulders and a blank stare, as if that is what is expected of you. Rule 3? Not true! In this techno age of geeks and prodigys? My friends little bro got a million dollar contract to play friggin video games for pete's sake! How old is this list anyways? Rule 4 is also not true. I have worked for some great people, but I have worked for some scumbags. And, my wife is a teacher, and I cannot see her as tough! Especially when she has 35 students and only 5 of them on average have 2 parents, much less any at all.. I guess the Bronx perspective is a little different than in any small town around the world. Rule 5 is unfortunatly true, and when all my friends used to make fun of me and my newspapers, I grinned and beared it. Humility is a wonderous character builder when you're young! Rule 6? Hategear said it all! Daddy could be a coke dealer and mommy a whore. You end up in foster care as a result of this.. who is at fault then eh? Rule 7 is also crap. Old christian values stick people! They also suck. My mom is boring, but she is a good mom. I admire her for her beliefs and her old school morals. That's where that ends. I would go on but I don't want to totally bite off hategear.. Not that anyone would sort through this post!

I dont think the thread starter should feel like he or she is at fault for posting this and others tore it apart. It's not like you wrote it right? Besides, I laughed when I read it and shook my head in agreement for the most part.

Life only gets better as you get older. You have some control, and if you make a bad turn, you have to get out the map and find your way. It's all relative aint it?

17. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado

Nope I didn't write it, but I think some of the points are poignent, hold pretty true, and thought it would be interesting to bring to the board. I'm definitely not saying it's gospel in any way shape or form but it does hold some truth.

Your last sentance hits the nail on the head. Very well put.

FWIW I also loved Hategears breakdown of the list. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers from another 31 year old that refuses to grow up. :) :)

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"
    Hey man, it's tough all over.

"When do we need to find this out? Up Front!"

These kinds of posts are ones I appreciate the most. Go over to "Technique","General Instruction", or "Band Management", and these same lessons are posted in a similar fashion.

I appreciate being reminded everyday that life is what you make it. Opportunities are made, not handed out.

19. ram936

ram936

May 29, 2002
    Massillon, Ohio
    Rule #12: If you think the first 11 rules are harsh, go live life for 50+ years & then tell me what you think. Just my 2 cents.

20. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If you think this is harsh (and perhaps it is), trying looking at it from the perspective of an adult.

Frankly, I'm personally a little tired of listening to some 15-year-olds -- on this board and in real life -- who talk as if they know everything, when in reality they don't know anything.

And btw, that doesn't mean ALL 15-year-olds -- Jrthebassguy, for example, seems like a solid kid with a pretty good head on his shoulders (I think he's around 15).