this is confusing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kindablue, Jun 19, 2003.

1. kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    what about the fact that,depending on how one approaches a note,a fourth can be a fifth and a fifth can be a fourth.meaning if i go from a low A note to an E,it's a fifth.but if i go from an octave higher A to an E it's a fourth,you know what i mean? so does it change it's musical property,thru a change of relationship?
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh? Buh? Duh?

I uh... dunno.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    All that means is
    you got

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 right?

look at the 5th
    that's 5 steps up from ONE

but it is 4 steps DOWN from 8

1 and 8 are the same note just different octave.

so essentially a perfect 5th becomes a perfect 4th when you come from the 8th.
  4. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    You say tumato,I say tamato,let's call the whole thing off.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002's not quite that easy conu, because if you play C-G that is a perfect 5th, but if you play G-C(octave higher than first C) that is a perfect 4th.
  6. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    nah,really?can ya tab it for me?
    (kinda think we're being had here WR);)
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, you're only being "had" if you are blind to that. If you are fully aware when you enter a situation like this, then you are never "had".
  8. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    So assuming this is a serious inquiry;) what's the answer?
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    What is the sound of one hand clapping? :)
  10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    A fourth cannot be a fifth.

A fifth cannot be a fourth.

You're confusing two different things: C up to G is a perfect fifth. C down to G is a perfect fourth. Just because the names are the same does not mean the distance between the notes are the same.

Oh, and you meant this to be in General Instruction, didn't you? I'll move it there for you. Watch the closing door....
  11. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A fifth inverted becomes a fourth, and fourth inverted becomes a fifth.

Don't confuse relative intervals with degrees of the scale. If you're talking about "a fifth" then you're talking relative intervals. If you're talking about "the fifth" you're talking about scale degrees.

So, the fifth (a.k.a the dominant) can be a 5th or a 4th away from the root.

As far as function is concerned, it doesn't matter which, it's still the 5th.
  12. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The interval called a 5th is not necessary a distance between 2 notes. The 5th (interval) is the 5th note in the scale pattern. When you go down to G from C you're not going down A 5th, you're going down TO THE 5th. Which if your scale is rooted in C (2nd string, 3rd fret) then the G is called the inverted 5th. Which means that you've shifted the 5th down an octave.

You won't see much theory talk about this kind of stuff unless you also study piano. But try to understand the difference between the 5th degree of a scale and playing something a 5th away from a different note other than the root.