This is dangerous

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowner, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Going into a guitar shop to look is dangerous. i went into thisguitar shop today just to look they have this incredible used section in the back. I went back and eneded up buying this incredible 80's fender P-Bass. I have no idea what it is the neck is black all the way to the headstock and it a pale yellow pearlike finish. I think it was white and it creamed out. It had a greatful dead sticker on the underside and it left a mark but its not big deal to me. This puppy sounds great and I got it for next to nothing. This place sells more recent used instruments for an arm and a leg and the older used instruments for cheap. Anyone know what I am talking about? whats the model called?
  2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    If it has P-J pickups, then it would be an 80's Jazz Special like Duff used in Guns-n-Roses. If it just has a P pickup, it's from the same era but I think it was called a "Contemporary Precision". I could be wrong about that tho. Can you post pics'?
  3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Sounds like you did pretty well. ... so how is it dangerous? If anything I would think it would be lucrative. The only thing keeping me from jumping on deals like that is that i dont have an income... ill be in college next year so ill have to get a job. look for posts like this from me next year. im sure ill be an idiot and squander all of my money on basses.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY

GAS is a very dangerous thing, my friend. Use it (and hide it) well.
  5. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I'm sorry, I read this far and just couldn't let this one slide. It's spelled "Grateful Dead". With capitals and such.
  6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

I though duff played an aerodyne jazz.....
  7. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    He plays an Aerodyne now sometimes in addition to his arsenal of Jazz Bass Specials :) I wish I had the funds to buy either one right now
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Is it like this?

This is a Fender MIJ Jazz Special. They made a few different types, this one is active (called a Power Jazz), the others are passive ..... very nice basses, many TBer's have them .... :cool:
  9. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    There is only a bass type pick up and no jazz pick up. But the neck is black like that and its a little more yellow than that one in the pic.
  10. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Pics are coming just as soon.
  11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I have a Grateful Dead sticker on my bass, you shoulda left it there, makes you play better.
  12. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
  13. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I've seen a few on eBay in the past year or so. They are less common than their siblings, Jazz Bass Special, and Power Jazz Bass Special. (and also "Jazz Bass", and "P-J Bass" - The "Jazz Bass" seems more rare), which all somewhat look a like, with slight differences to the body contours, and of course, pickup/electronic configurations.

The one's I've seen have sold between $150 and $350. Some come with all black necks, and some come with just a black headstock. I've seen a few white ones like that one (and like yours), and I also saw a Burgundy Mist (looks almost like copper actually).

I haven't had one of those on my hands, but since they were made in the same place around the same time, somewhat similar design, I’d lean towards saying that they have Basswood bodies, which, I personally like, but sometimes the very light ones might feel a little cheap.

By the looks of the pickup, I’d say it's just like the P-pup in the Jazz Bass Special, which is nice a growly (not quite like the good-ol P-tone, but still very nice IMO).
  14. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Well, ultra rare or not. This one is a keeper. It does have a more growly sound that my MIM P bass.