Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is driving me nutz [transposition question]

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Oct 30, 2005.

1. If I have a part in D minor (concert pitch), and I want to transpose it for Eb alto sax, which key is it in?

It's not in B major, is it?

::tears her hair out::

2. b minor

- Wil

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    She said she was 18...

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Eb alto sax is written a major sixth above concert pitch (not a minor third below, as many people seem to think). The middle C (actual pitch) is written as an A on the second space of the staff (treble clef). The A 440, which is the A on the second space, is written as a F# on the fifth (top) line.

Same thing happens with key signatures: C major for the piano is A major for the alto sax. Then D minor corresponds to B minor (major sixth above).

Hope this helps.

5. Thanks.

Next week I will be! ::dances::

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Then you won't B minor.

7. ... oh. I get it now.

That's clever. :D

8. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    If you're an Eb horn player, and you "see" a "C" on horn chart, you play a (concert) Eb. That's how I remember how to transpose horn charts, don't know if it i will help anyone else.

9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Congrats! I just turned 21 myself. :)

10. Enhorabuena (congratulations). I can't wait, 'cos it'll mean this week's over and done with.

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

Wait a minute....

FOUL!!!!

Illegal use of a non-Fuqua's name by the originator.

15 yard penalty and 20 minutes in the penalty box in conversation with Mike Money.

Automatic first down.

Mike

12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I won't B minor soon either...

...47 days...

13. Maybe lunch with Mike money at Valentines and the bill paid by Mark Latimour with free strip entertainment from khayos and for security Benjiman Strange