1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This is Funny...(But may offend a few people)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. why on earth would i need an AOL account? (I live out in the boonies and only pay 4.95 for my ISP as we can't get cable way out here) or are you saying you need one?

2. It says that I need one.

lowsound

3. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    "This area can not be accessed by your account."
    :eyebrow:

4. Thats funny i don't have an AOL account (I'm using Netscape), yet i can read the story....hmmmm

Here I will Paraphrase the article for you...

Warning this may offend some people...

Israeli Study: Moses Was High on Drugs

When Moses climbed high onto Mount Sinai and heard God deliver the 10 Commandments, was he high on drugs?

Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, thinks that he was, since mind-altering drugs were an integral part of religious rites of the Israeli people during biblical times, reports Agence France Presse.

"As far as Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio.

It doesn't end there. Shanon also thinks that Moses was on drugs when he saw the "burning bush."

He explained to Israeli public radio, "The Bible says people see sounds, and that is a classic phenomenon" of some types of hallucinogenic drugs. For example, drugs are used during religious ceremonies in the Amazon that induce people to "see music."

Shanon knows firsthand of what he speaks. The professor visited Brazil's Amazon forest in 1991 and during a religious ceremony there used ayahuasca, a powerful psychotropic plant. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," Shanon recalls, noting that the psychedelic effects of ayahuasca are similar to those produced by concoctions based on the bark of the acacia tree, which is frequently mentioned in the Bible.

The study findings were reported in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

5. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Is it a news story? copy/paste
    I have an AIM account, which is what I used...

6. Anthony Kiedis got the name of his band from a burning bush he saw when on an acid trip the bush had the words "Red Hot Chili Peppers" burning on it. o_O

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    hm... interesting thesis, though IMO perfectly ridiculous.

if Moses was high when he delivered the ten commandments, then why are they so practical?

IME, the (very) few times I've been high, I tend to relate things about floating hot dogs, burrowing midget clowns, and what my face would feel like if it were hit by a steamroller.

Also:

from a purely secular point of view, stories about phenomenon such as "burning talking bushes" are usually embellished over time and added to the fundamental themes of the messages portrayed. Stories over time are exaggerated, so that over long periods of time (in this case thousands of years) the entire circumstance of the revelation is completely fabricated.

in short, I don't believe Moses talked to a bush, but rather that part was added to wow the common schmucks and "spice up" the appeal of religion.

8. I'm guessing someone lit a bush on a fire and due to something that happened before hand (which we don't know about but is significant to him) he took it as a sign from god. Then as you said embellished over time.

9. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Very interesting. Chew on this. I've read similar articles that speculate that hallucinogenic drugs don't cause the brain to see things that aren't their, but open up higher senses in the brain and make people more sensitive to I guess the spiritual world. People who believe in things like possession will often blame hallucinogenic drugs and say things like it opened up the path for the evil spirit.

So, maybe both theories are right. Maybe moses was trippin his ass off AND talked to god.

10. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    He dropped two of them.

11. Thou shalt not boeg the joint.
    12. Thou shalt be cool and not cause me to have a bad trip.

11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Old news...have you seen their hair?

12. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I get that people have opposing viewpoints, which is perfectly fine with me, but what's "funny" about this? :confused:

13. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    This thread will probably degrade into a religious debate and get closed soon enough.

I agree with Thumb, I'm not really seeing the 'funny.' I'm not religious at all, this doesn't offend me in any sense, I'm just not seeing the joke. Wow, people used to do a lot of drugs way back when before laws prevented it. Astonishing. I heard some musicians did drugs once as well, although that ones not confirmed.

14. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I think it's the fact that Moses (along with other well known people in Christian religion) are worshipped by people who, stereotypically, are opposed to drugs. By now, most of the world assumes that musicians are already high 24/7, and so the humor is lost somewhat. Also if this thread hasn't been closed by the time I'm done typing this, it'll be a miracle.:D

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hmm. I'm not really sure what the point is. Especially since there's no evidence outside of "people on drugs see stuff - maybe Moses was on drugs" type speculation which really doesn't really serve any purpose other than to inflame. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

On the other hand, I've seen some pretty compelling evidence that originally there were actually Fifteen Commandments.

16. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    indeed...all the article says to me is, "i'm speculating about things that are impossible to prove just because I'm a psychologist who's had a crazy drug trip!"

17. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Meh.

I suppose it's not much better than "I'm speculating about things that are impossible to prove just because I read it in an ancient book of moral fables, and I'm oddly enough willing to base my entire belief system around that".

:p

18. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    you're kidding, right? one of the commandments says that to be happy with the slaves you own, and don't covet your neighbor's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.