Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is gettign out of hand

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Low-carb this, low-carb that. It seems that every other add in magazines and on tv are for low-carb foods or drugs that do stuff to carboyhdrates. I havn't seen a non-light beer commercial in a long time. Today I saw low-carb pizza. At just about every restaurant, they have low-carb entrees advertised all over. All the soda is diet. LOW CARB PIZZA-WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING? Low carb everything. Everything. What the hell is wrong with this country? Does anyone remember that food pyramid thingy? Which group is the most important?

The bottom line is that excercise is the way to go, and this low-carb thing has seized the USA, and it can't be good. (note, this is coming from a dude who's 6', weights 150lbs, eats as many carbs as he wants to, and, my friends, here's the key: EXCERCISES REGUARLY.)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think its just an attempt to make America less overweight.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I checked your profile- 18 years old - that's the key. I'd bet anything that you have to watch your diet more in about 10 years or so if you want to stay 150lbs. (I lived on junk and couldn't gain a pound between ages 14 and 27... then something happened...)

...but you make a point. People have always been fighting "the battle of the bulge" though - it's just that we have only recently learned that it's carbs that make us fat. people used to think it was fat that made us fat and it was fat free this and fat free that every where you looked. Before that, we thought calories made us fat and it was low cal this and low cal that.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    .... by lightening their wallets.[​IMG]

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think the Low Carb stuff has gotten kind of a ridiculous too. I'm making Spaghetti right now, which is carb-full of delicious thank you very much.

I think the worst part about the Low carb craze(buzz term) is not so much that it's everywhere, but that it's causing donut shops, pizzarias, bakeries and other carb-full food joints(that might produce excellent food) to lose lots of business.

6. I think its a ploy to make money. It sounds like all these other diet crazes. What happened to the good ole days when people would pop in a richard simmons tape and work out???
    And im 23 and since 9th grade ive been 140lbs, not gained an ounce and I eat whatever, whenever.

7. Yesterday I saw some "low carb" multivitamins. We'll, they were actually designed to supply nutrients that people on low carb diets are missing out on. Or something like that. Yeah, any time I see a commercial or advertisement for so called "low carb" foods, it just totally gets to me. A lot of those low carb foods are actually very unhealthy, and it pains me to think that people are actually being mislead by these ads.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    There is no easy way. Eat a balanced diet (with normal portions) and exercise.

9. :scowl: a friend of mine went on that low carb diet thing and i forget how many weeks later his doctor said, "Not anymore" doctors are finding out that just low carbin is bad for your body....kinda makes sense.....no carbs all fat.....nastay

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's about the size of it, people spend their lives looking for magic keys to fix their problems, but that's not the way to go about things at all. I always liked this quote in Brendan's signature:

"Of course a shortcut isn't easy, if it was easy, it'd just be the way"

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

As we reap.

So must we sow.

It's time to TAKE THE POWER BACK!

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My day job is working in a bookstore, and man, every time yet another flavor-of-the-week fad diet book rolls in, I get swarms of people asking about it. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I feel bad that part of my paycheck comes from people buying (and buying into) this stuff. Oh well, freedom of choice and all that.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    It only got out of hand because fat people are gullible. ;)

(Not intended to offend anyone.)

14. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    Carbs are energy...therefore the low carb diet crap is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bassist: :bassist:

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Guys ever heard the term metabolism? Someone who has been bone thin their whole life (read: has never experienced the problem) probably isn't going to be the best spokesman for those who have, and do have the problem. Not everyone who is overweight is a fat, lazy slob, even though most like to try to paint that picture.

I'm not here to debate low carbs.

The complaints on this thread are silly. It's basic business, supply verses demand. Since adkins is all the rage, low carb foods are currently in high demand. Therefore, business are carrying as much as possible to meet that demand. They would be a fool not to.
    Sonorus, I personally find your comment to be insensitive, generalizing, and insulting.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ain't that the truth. Plus at 18, I played 20 times more sports than I do now. Then I got a desk job and BEHOLD THE GUT!

It's almost gone now. I eat much less, eat balanced diet meaning a little bit from each of the 5 food groups including some carbs ( no chocolate isn't a food group, niether is Pizza). Exercise a little bit and POW, no more gut.

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, it works very well.

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    For a while. The your body starts to realize it's running on ethanol (ie sugar and adrenalin) and you start to feel flat, unmotivated, and tired all the time.

The problem with any diet is that if you have to "start", well that means you have to then "stop" it at some stage. That's when the weight comes back.

True good health comes from a lifestyle and attitude change, not from a temporary "diet".

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Agreed.

And it still is low calories.

Carbs are full of calories. Fat is full of calories. Its just that now they are telling you to cut out a different source of calories out of your diets.