this is going to sound super noob...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Ok. I have had a BP200 for about a year and a half. I have played around it for a long time. I realized I actually have no idea what some of the stuff means. First off, what exactly does a compressor do and what's with the hz and khz. I know noise gate gets all the hum and unwanted noise out right? but what does the gate threshold do? And with reverb what exactly does decay mean? And lastly with the expression pedal what's the difference between Volpre and volpost? And there is a feedback thing for the expression pedal. I was guessing this would be some sort of hendrix type feedback. I tried using it and it didn't make a difference in anything. Is this because it sucks or because I suck? and lastly, does anyone have any patches of just weird noises?
    Sorry that was long. John
  2. To answer your specific questions:

A compressor is a tool that is used to level out your volume. In a basic sense, think of a singer at a microphone. As you move closer to the mic, you get louder...and as you move away, you get quieter. A compressor cuts the volume as you get closer to the mic, making you more even when you're singing. The parallel's to bass playing are when you slap, for example, you're generally playing harder and louder than when you play fingerstyle. A compressor 'tames' the volume spikes and evens everything out nicely. You can control how long it takes for the compressor to engage (attack) how long you compress (release) at what volume you want the compressor to engage (threshold) and how much compression you want (ratio). You can control how much signal goes into the compressor (input gain) and you can even out the volume coming out (output gain/volume) making it so your compressed volume is the same as your uncompressed volume.

Hertz (hz) and Kilohertz (khz) are values of the audible frequency spectrum. Bass is normally in the range of 30 hertz to 12,000 hz (or 12 khz). Equalizers boost or cut certain frequencies within this range.

The gate threshold is set to allow a certain amount of noise a gate. If the threshold is set too high, quiet bass notes that you want to have come through the gate will be closed off. You need to set the gate threshold to where only the static or hum is closed off, but all your bass notes are heard.

Reverb Decay is the time it takes for the reverb to stop reverbing. Say you hit a note and immediately mute it. Reverb Decay is the time it takes for that sound to fade away.

I'm not sure about this one, but it might have to do with a particular effect that the expression pedal is affecting. Volume Pre, is generally the Volume prior to hitting the effects. Volume Post would be volume after effects or overall volume. I suppose when you set the expression to Volume Pre, play a note, then roll the pedal to 'off', you'd still hear delays or decaying reverb, but the volume before the effects would be off. If you set it to Volume Post, all the volume would be cut (effects too) when you roll the pedal off.

I believe this feedback feature is more for effects like delay and flanger. With delay, feedback is the amount of delays that you hear after the initial note. With a feedback of 100%, you'll delay a note forever (just bong-bong-bong-bong-bong, etc.) with no fade-out. With a feedback of 10%, you'll just hear a few delays and they'll fade out. (bong-bong-bong). It doesn't do the Jimi Hendrix thing. The way he got feedback was by cranking his Marshall stacks and standing about 6" away from them. Soundwaves from his speakers vibrated his strings, which vibrated the speakers, causing a feedback loop. Treble frequencies do this best, that's why guitar feeds back easier than bass. If you want to do this, get an overdrive going, crank the gain, and stand right in front of and facing your speakers. You'll get some feedback going.

Hope this helps.