This is going too far

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Dec 26, 2005.

1. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    sheeeesh...what a pack of ninnies.
    now, i could see if it were a fine levied against him for playing 'stairway' too many times...
  2. First off: Nice shot of the Pleiades star cluster, Vorago.

Second Of All: That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Darn corporates and their money grabbing ideas. ;\
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i work at a music store and i would say most people who "show off" doing covers would not count in copyright law. The person has to at least come close to what the song actually sounds like, which no one ever does. Most guys who turn their amps up so loud i can hear them 300 feet away cant play worth a darn anyway. Id guess if metallica was acutally at my music store they wouldnt even be able to tell someone was butchering their music.
  4. That's ridiculous, my guess is as long as he is able to organize himself and all the other local shops and get good litigation, it won't make it much past the local courts, if at all. Obviously they are just looking for money.

Imagine if something like this did pass. What would be next? Club owners and cover bands.

That was the one big thing I did not like about the whole Metallica/Napster thing. It was just the begining.
  5. Those guys are nothing but cotton-tailed ninnymuggins!
  6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

what a load of horse hockey !!

i guess the wankers at my local music shop
    will have to stop playing " smoke on the water " and "iron man"...

hmmm , maybe thats not such a bad idea after all ...:D
  7. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I wounder if you can sue "Performing Rights Society" for having the same initials..As "Paul Reed Smith". When I first read threw it all I saw as PRS. I was thinking why would Paul be suing a small music store. :confused:
    But I have still have some sense about myself to know that it couldn't of been Paul Read Smith.
    So someone just reading threw it real fast might just mistake PRS for a guitar company which would be bad for PaulRS.

This SH*& is just getting to stupid! I'm happy that I live in my own little world away from these people.
  8. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I love PRS, this makes me sick. As much as their Guitars Cost, who's gonna buy one without playing it. His cheap Guitars,excluding the SE seris, start at $1700 and keep going up from there. Who's going to spend 3 grand or more and wait to get home to see if you like it. What are they depending on good looks?
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Read carefully, this has nothing to do with Paul Reed Smith. It's the Performing Rights Society. ;)

Oh, and this is the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. I play certain tunes because I know what I want them to sound like, and if I can't get that tone out of it, I know where I stand with the instrument. I guess if stores are required to have private wanking rooms, that's also a load of bull.

People gotta stop being so sue-happy. That ain't a damn public performance.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

11. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    OK, you can unpeal me from the ceiling now.
  12. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    must be in england, or under uk rule..
    anyone ever seen the movie brazil?
    the english like their bureaucracy.
    a lot. and kings and queens, too. pffft.
  13. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    yup, 114 pounds...
    god save the queen!
  14. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    did nobody read my post. :mad:
  15. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    I suppose the next step is to bug the practice rooms at schools of music.

I propose that TBer's get together and do something about this... we have the power. What we need to do is pool our money and copyright some music.

I propose we start small and big. Let's copyright G# first (people don't use that note too much, it probably will go cheap). Then, as the royalites roll in, we use that money to copyright more and more notes.

Please, keep this plan under your hat... otherwise Bill Gates will copyright White Noise and we'll all be sitting in silence, lighting candles to the memory of John Cage. (unless somebody has the rights to that!)
  16. First tabs, then playing in music stores? All my musical peers (I'm 17) think these organisations are a joke. I hope they don't forget when they get to choose how they treat these greedy vampiric record companies and orginisations like the prs and mpa. Just shows how dam* greedy the worlds getting.
  17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's time to start lining lawyers up and shooting them.
  18. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Unfortunately my first post was a perfect example. :bag: