This is gonna sound weird.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by georgecarter, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Okay, I know this probbaly sounds weird but I need a bass tab for Billy Jean by Micheal Jackson. If you know where I can find one I would appreciate it. I have a bad ear so I can listen to it and figure it out. If you know where to find one you can post it here or e-mail it to me.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very simple, but cool and effective bassline.
  3. Thanks Oyster,
    This bass tab is exactly what I needed!
  4. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    errrr that tab is not quite right, there are two basses on Billie Jean, theres the main riff (which the tab shows) but theres also a another bass (synth?) which is just the root note played under it . I'm not sure if the tabs in the right key but try it in E and use the open E string to double the synth part...kinda like this...

I'm not used to tabs..I read REAL music ;) so I assume the -0- means an open string...if it dosent it does now.

The trick with the 2nd open E is to hit it slightly before the beat...listen carefully to the recording, its like a pulse in the background (I think a high synth/strings plays the same beat at the intro as well)

hope this makes sense.

5. Thanks for the second tab to Billie Jean. I'l give it a try and see what it sounds like. I usually don't read tabs myself, I prefere printed notation but in some cases I feel that tabs do have their place and this is one of those times. It usually depends on how complex the song is.
  6. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    No problemo :)

(hope its right 'cos I dont have my bass to hand right now so I tabbed it from'll take a bit of practice to get used to playing the open E with the riff as your plucking two strings at the same time..but persevere its amazing how much it rounds out the sound 'specially live.)
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well if it's in F# - that needs to be the 9th and 7th frets and you can't use open E unless you're transposing the whole thing down a tone. You could always use the F# at the 7th fret on the B if you have a 5-string.
  8. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    or you could "tap" it with the left hand phrasing the low F# and the right hand phrasing the riff.......or maybe not...

Another reason why I gotta get a 5 string.
  9. Thanks for the info Bruce. It should sound good on my 5 string