Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is gonna sounds sorta stupid...

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Mike Money, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Say you are playing a song where the chord (Bar chords) progression is G C D... All those chords get 8 counts using 8th notes...

Now, starting on G, if you want to mix it up, you can throw in some 3rds, 5ths, etc... And you can do that on all the chords when they are being played...

Now, when you are playing the 3rd on the G, could you then rundown a major or minor scale starting from the G's 3rd? And keep going and going and still sound good?

Or would it be to much of a change and just sound funny?

*If I just confused you, I'm sorry, I just started getting lessons after 2 years of owning a bass and am starting to get these ideas running through my head...*

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Mike $$$

If you are playing a chord progression of G, C and D you are in the key of G (you are palying the I, IV and V chords in the key of G). As you try to mix it up stay within the key of G. Besides the 3rd and 5th of each chord, use scale tones (G,A,B,C,D,E,F#). Finally add in some chromatic tones to smooth out the lines.

Hope this helps

Mike

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Wow... Never thought of it like that :p

Thanks.