1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This is how ridiculous Guitar Center has become!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidjbass, Feb 22, 2021.

1. First off let me say I am not interested in any of these basses. But a lot of us here go onto G.C.'s used website every day to see what new used gear they have taken in and look for some deals. But recently some of the used basses they are selling have unbelievable price tags on them. To the point where you can buy a new version of the same bass for cheaper than they are selling the used one for. Having worked in retail for years I would love to know who at G.C. is making these decisions to buy these used basses at such a high cost and then trying to sell them at an even higher price point. They really need to lose their jobs. These basses aren't even vintage! They will never sell no where near the prices they are asking for them. No wonder G.C. is going down the crapper. See the links below.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Warwick/Thumb-BO-Custom-Shop-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Warwick/Thumb-BO-Custom-Shop-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/I...rat-Gabriella-Natural-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

And to the Mods if this post is in the wrong category my apologies please feel free to move it.

WarwickE36 and dkelley like this.
  2. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    Man, this is just what the used market is now. Finding a good deal is next to impossible in my neck of the woods. Everyone thinks their used gear is worth sticker price or more, so I guess it makes sense that GC would operate in the same way.

Don't have Guitar Centre in Canada, but I find our major retail chains operate in the same way... a used P bass is frequently sold for like 20 bucks less than a brand new one in many cases... who needs it.

PsyDocHill, Low_NF, Thibby and 8 others like this.
  3. I know what you mean! Some of the used Musicman's are out there for prices. Here are a couple more I found. They are selling 2 of the same Bongo 6 strings. The first one is 3K and the other is $2,400.00. Both the same basses but $600.00 difference! Unbelievable!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/E...mily-Reserve-Bass-6HH-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/E...l-Family-Reserve-Bass-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

4. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Let'm sit on them...no harm or foul, just don't buy

5. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Yes, this is what happens when demand vastly outstrips supply. ;)

New instruments are in high demand, and are harder and more expensive to manufacture. Due to a supply shock early in the pandemic, lumber is harder to source, and prices roughly doubled in the past year. Plus, lots of bored people decided they wanted to learn an instrument while stuck at home.

As new instruments become more expensive and harder to buy, used prices go up. If the used one is available right now, and the new one can't be bought anywhere for the next 3-6 months, it's only natural that the used price will rise.

I will say that GC is not exactly the poster child for the Efficient Market Hypothesis when it comes to used gear. However, this cuts many ways. They often pay a bit too much for a used instrument, or charge too little. That said, you can't really look at one or two examples, without knowing what sells and what doesn't and at what prices, before saying that "GC is charging too much."

6. I am just blown away at how much G.C. is paying out for these basses. For them to be selling a used Warwick Thumb bass bolt on for $4,700.00 they must have at lease put 2K into it if not more. Not good business sense.

7. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Flint
    Last time i traded in something there they also went way lower than usual on their offer. Normally i get around 60% of what they sell a traded in item for, this time they offered me $90 for a 4x10 cab then turned around and sold it for $200, so i only got 45%.

Tbone76, Nuage420 and Indiana Mike like this.
  8. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well those 2 Bongos are in 2 different locations, priced by 2 different guys.
    If whoever priced the second one disagrees with the pricing of the first one, why should he be obligated to conform to it, especially if he thinks it's too low?

9. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Another day, another post complaining about GC...

Pricing is not an exact science (especially in retail environments across multiple locations). They must feel they can fetch these prices, or they will sit forever and have to be marked down eventually. Not sure what your complaint is, especially if you're not interested in these specific basses.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    There is definitely a lack of supply of new instruments. Normally Sweetwater has multiples of each instrument for sale, now the majority of models are out of stock

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You mean Guitar Center is doing what countless other sellers are doing...asking higher and higher prices than ever before?
    I'm guessing you haven't checked out Reverb or Ebay lately.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

From what I understand, new and used instruments are selling quite well because a bunch of bored people locked down 'cause of COVID have been looking for a hobby and, plug & play gear is where they've been spending.

If there's a good demand for something, it will stabilize or increase prices.

Good news? New stuff is still a good value.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

0000_1.jpg

14. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    As somebody that worked for GC, this isn't an example of used market value so much as its an issue of employees still not doing their part to make reasonable offers on used gear.
    Somebody would buy something in at way too high of a price because they knew that the customers purchase was dependent on getting enough for their trade.
    Just one of the problems with their pay/commission structure is that they can incentivize actions that have a negative impact on the company.

15. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Find a 15% coupon. Buy it new.
    You get a warranty. Be creative and fight the power

16. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    This is good news for Herrick. I plan on selling a few basses and guitars this week to GC.

17. Bingo.

Ronzo, sonojono, JoshS and 2 others like this.
  18. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    No one’s holding a gun to your head.... don’t like the price, don’t buy the item.

19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Buy low, sell high, whenever possible, as with any market. GC may not always be a rational actor in the marketplace, but that's their prerogative. You don't have to do business with irrational actors. But if they can find buyers at the prices they are asking, that's the market in action, not GC being ridiculous.

mexicant, Spidey2112 and JRA like this.
  20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yup. Personally, I prefer minty-fresh outta 'da box stuff that hasn't been pawed over.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021