Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is how you play bass...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Red Wonder, Jan 30, 2006.

1. why is it that the more technically advanced you get as a player, the worst your taste in music becomes? Marcus Miller is technically amazing....but so are Yanni and Kenny G....

2. mdbeck50

mdbeck50

Jan 30, 2006
    sussex cty, nj
    Unfortunately Marcus tours with another bass player. I've always liked Marcus, but I hate this new trend of bass players needing other bassplayers to back them up.

3. Kenny G is far from amazing technically.

And though I don't like everything Marcus does, if you are asked to play by Miles and Donald Fagen, you're definately doing something right.

Also, he's one of the most tasteful slappers out there I think (groove and melody orientated instead of all flash)

4. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    your entitled to your opinion but what Marcus and company are doing in that clip has very little to do with yanni or Kenny G besides the fact that it's instrumental music.you might also note that they are in a very large theater so someone dig's it.

5. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Marcus is not using another bass player live(big doug epting) on some tunes because he HAS to,he does it because many of his recording's have multible bass part's(lead and low-end bass)I remember hearing him years ago in chicago with bernard wright on key's,it was some of the best keyboard bass playing i have ever heard.also the trend as you put it is not new,stanley clark has had another bass player on his live gig and records for 20yr's.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    like willgroove2 says, multi track bass recordings need something live. I've not seen MM tour with another bassist... but I have seen Stanley Clarke a few times over the last 15 years with a second bassist to hold it down while he tore up the piccolo, hardly a new trend.

FYI: I grew up in Ogdensburg, cut my teeth in the cover bars up your way. I checked out your site... you can play some!

Hillbillyfunk: since I've come full circle and I'm now a confessed "jazz snob", I'll take your statement as a compliment :smug:

7. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Where did that come from? Is that out on DVD?

8. GGGGGGGAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY FACE IS MELTING!

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Don't rag on the current king jazz/funk on bass.

10. I like Marcus, but MAN, I cannot STAND his guitarist.. Not necessarily his playing, but his stage presence..

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Er...Kenny G is technically amazing?

:eyebrow: Yeah. Okay. Kenny G, more than any other instrumentalist that's sold a record in the last decade, epitomizes the word "mediocre." He's got mediocre technique, tone, intonation, ideas, and hair. Perms are gross.

That said, Marcus Miller has just about one of the deepest, grooviest pockets in bass playing today, and one hell of a tasty tone. Jeez -- look at that technique. Rock freakin' solid.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ahh, it's technically good. I didn't feel the groove. Once you lose touch with that, it's just wanking to me.

13. new? stanley clarkes been doing it for years..i mean, songs like marcus' power, you'd need a seccond bassist otherwise it'd sound sh*t without those sub reggae-ish parts

14. I posted it to refer to the stage presence that Marcus has. Regardless of tone or a myriad of other factors, without the look of having fun the audience won't care or have fun
    either.

That's why MM rules.

15. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i realy liked that, i've never seen marcus miller live before and havnt really heard much of his stuff, but if u have mor elive stuff from him plz post! lol

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~Cool/Media.html

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

+1 Hiram Bullock is sort of an odd fella anyway! I hate that chorus/flange/detuned pedal sound he uses! Ugh! Not the snazziest dresser either! Always has a ratty t-shirt on!!

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the guitar player in the clip is dean brown