Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is killing me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I played through a (now discontinued) Fender Bassman 25 in a local Mom & Pop shop today. I boosted the bass a bit, cut the mids slightly, trebble flat, enhance (?) button in and fired up a USA Hwy 1 Jazz and could not believe the tone! I had played one a summer or two ago and remember being impressed. I have gone through plenty o' gear and recently some higher end stuff with a high end price tag to boot, and I just can't believe how much I loved the tone from this little amp.

Now I'm wondering if the new revamped line has the same vibe.
    The new 800 Pro? The new one rack space tube pre amp? And is this just a case of this amp being what it is? Sounds great but...if you get a version that you could actually play out with (i.e. 210 combo) you'd loose some of that small, play alone tone.
    Your thoughts?

Buzz

2. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    i have a bassman 25 i bought almost 2 years ago, and i love it. i sometimes like the sound of it better than my Ampeg rig, but only use it in small sized-down situations.

i am just as courious about the tone of the rackmount pre-amp but have not tourtered myself by going into G.C.(man that place and people there suck :scowl: ) and testing one, i'd like to build a more custom rig. If my local dealer has one in i'll peep it out this weekend and let you know.

3. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    And that's the thing. I have two "Big Name" brands of cabinets and heads and haven't gotten this type of tone out of either of them. Is it just because it's a small unit? I don't know, but I know what I heard and I liked it. And if that new pre amp sounds like this I'm going to have to break down and get one.

B