1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is like storage wars!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dbutler15, Mar 21, 2013.

1. dbutler15

dbutler15

Mar 14, 2013
    So 2 days ago I bought a Music Man Stingray 5 from a guy on craigslist for $800. I had to pick this bass up from a storage facility in Queens. (NYC). Now I go home and really look over the bass. This thing was brand new. Not a scratch on the entire thing. Now I took it to have it set up and the guy told me it was a little dry on the neck because the frets were rough on the edge. So I go home and look up the serial number and find out it's from 1996. It must have been in storage for almost 17 years because it looks like i went and got it at guitar center. It's crazy. Does anyone out there have any stories like this?

2. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    I was in high school at the time, my buddy's dad was an old bass player. This is when I was getting pretty serious about the bass, he told me that he had an old amp in storage and I could have it. My buddies dad and I went to the storage place and opened up the door and there was an old Kustom amp. Needed a little cleaning on the plush but it was sweet! And it was free! Ended up playing with the guy a few times. Years later I was ready for something different and ended up giving it back to him, he started playing again after almost 20 years, said I got him back into the low end. Always good karma!

3. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Really nice score. EBMM had some great wood supplies in the mid-nineties, it seems to me.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I bought and traded for a 74' Fender Musicmaster SS that was bought out of one of those store units for sale deals. Someone had stuck it in an old chipboard guitar case and it was part of contents of the unit in the sale.