this is me needing more power, right?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jul 17, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ok, i have a SWR Bass 350, 4ohm goliath jr, and 4 ohm triad.

that makes a 2 ohm load, maxing out the 350 at 450 watts.

so here's the question - in my band i have to be LOUD (9 piece) - and i have my volume control at 3/4 and gain at 1/4, and i probably need to be louder than that. the problem is that on low notes i get a kind of distortion, but none of my pedals or the preamp show clipping. there's no way i could be overdriving the cabs - the jr can handle 350 watts and the triad 400. so am i just trying to put out more power than the 350 can give? or is it something else.

btw - after a show the thing is hot as HELL, but that's from running at max power for 3 hours, i'm sure.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'd say you need more power. If I were you, I'd probably pick up a 2nd power amp and run one cab off each amp.
  3. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    try turning up the gain until the preamp clip light barely blinks when you slam your strings, then adjust the volume to taste.

on my bass 750, i can run the gain at about 6-7 with my spector ns, turn the volume up halfway and it's LOUD and clear.
  4. Your amp is hot as hell because you are beating the living sh*t out of it. A constant 2 ohm load is the hardest work your amp will do... add to this you are driving it at or near the limit.
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    SWR amps are designed to run hot. They use aluminum for the chassis causing the whole thing to act as a heat sink for the electronics. Very clever but also very scary if you don't expect it.

I think the distortion you're hearing is the power amp maxing out. Running an SWR hear with the preamp gain at 1/4 is like choosing to drive a Benz with four spare tires (you know the doughnut kind).

Give the gain a little bump and you'll notice the amp get much louder very quickly.
  6. Your heat and distortion problems are from running the 2 ohm load all night. If you want to keep those cabs and your SWR, you'll need a stereo power amp at 4 ohms per side and use the SWR as a preamp only.
    A Mackie 1400 on E-Bay can be had for around $425-450.
    Otherwise get rid of the cabs in favor of 8 ohm ones, but that would be much more expensive.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the bass 350 is ok at 2 ohms according to the manual.

but yeah, i definitely need a poweramp :(

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Id get a power amp and also you might try to put your cabs on somthing! Like wood box! Build one if you have too! But fill it with foam or somthing because you dont want to use it as a speaker box it will sound horrible! But man that really helps out alot to get it a little higher off the ground some time! Or make everyone in your band play on there knees!