Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is normal... right?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 26, 2005.

1. My cat has a very bad habit. He attacks other animals his own size such as other cats, and is constantly killing small animals such as birds, rats, mice, voles and frogs. He doesn't eat them, just kills them and sometimes tries to bring them into the house. Is this normal? I'd like it to stop. Maybe a bell is in order?

2. Cats can be like that, they will kill for the sake of killing

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Cats do this to show affection. They are bringing home part of their hunt for you to share. I'm not sure how to stop it, since my cats are indoor and don't hunt anything larger than a gnat, but I know other cat owners deal with it, and I know it's normal. I just couldn't tell you how to stop it.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A cat is a predator. It was designed to kill and eat other things.

So you better show appreciation the next time yours offers you to partake of the KOTD. :)

Get a bell.

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    You should be glad. My dogs have about an acre of land to roam and they rarely kill anything.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My cat killed a squirrel once.

7. Cats are just that way ... they bring home their "kill" as a trophy to show you their success.

My cats are always indoors ... we live in the country, and they get the mice in the winter, and crickets and bugs in the summer. My wife and I find dead carcusses in the middle of the floor pretty often. Often the bugs are left in pieces.

:ninja:

A bell is a good idea.

8. When I was young our family had a cat. We called him KC, it was short for Killer Cat. He was a mean spirited little SOB! If you were walking buy when he was in a particularly bad mood he would jump on your leg and then run away. I used to further taunt him (I mentioned I was young right) by putting on a glove and tease him, he would latch onto my wrist with his front paws and bite my hand, and then claw my forearm with his rear paws, all the time making that growling noise cats make.

Well, anyway. Once he killed a Blue Jay, not exactly the easiest bird to kill. Took it right over to my mother and dropped it at her feet. KC was darn proud of that one, my mother on the other hand had a slightly less than appreciative reaction. Yea, she freaked out. Well, I got a kick out of it.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Completely normal, your cat brings the pray back home to show it to his surrogatemother (you!). If he does, you should be proud of him.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, agreed. Our cat gets proud as h*ll when he leaves a dead bird at our doorstep. That's what cats do, and you can't really fault them for that, or try to train them out of it - unless you want to end up with a completely schizoid cat.... :D

11. so, aslong as it isnt bringing people back, your fine :p

12. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Or dogs. If he brought a dog back, I'd be a little concerned.

And I'd start looking for an agent.

13. haha, true!

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

LMAO, I just couldn't resist laughing.

...meow...

15. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Don't know if any of you are familar with this breed. Front half looks like a regular cat. The back half is built like a Brick House. Anyways my wife's Manx brought home a 3-1/2' Long Dog fish. We lived close to Lake Michigan so I'm thinking that a fisherman didn't want to throw the scrap fish back in the water so he left it on the bank for our cat to find. But cats are kinda mysterious. They can be totally calm one second then chasing air through your house the next.

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    if my cat brought a dog back, i wouldn't be worried

i'd be impressed

17. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've had a couple of cats over the years exhibit this kind of behavior, most notably 'Otis'. Big, mean, male tabby cat. He would get into fights with coons and possums, and would bring back the occasional squirrel, bird, or rodent. I was always impressed and would take it upon myself to bury the deceased in the backyard, while Otis watched with what I thought was amusement. It became a game for us. He brought the corpses home and I took care of 'em. Yeah that was fun when I was 8 years old. I miss Otis, the coons jumped him one night I guess. When I found him in the morning he wasn't a pretty sight, and I'll save the details for another time.
    On another note my friend's Dad has a 2 year old German Pointer that will chase down rabbits and squirrels and whatnot. Annie is far and away the fastest dog I've ever seen. Personally I think she rivals some greyhounds for speed off the line.
    But yeah, get a bell if you don't want trophies for the wall. ;)

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    My cat brought back a bat once. No idea how she caught it.

A bell will certainly reduce your cat's hunting ability. Not very fair on the cat though.

19. Yeah! Tie it to one of the bells from the church steeple down the road! That cat won't be going very far... :D

20. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If house cats were 80 pounds bigger, they'd be coming after you.