This is not a good sign

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 15, 2004.

1. After almost 4 years of talkbassing, I can't seem to find a reason to post in any forum but the off topic one, which I instintively go first when I view this board.

This was a very gradual process, from first never venturing into off-topic, to this. I think the issue has something to do with reading the same topics over and over and over again. There just doesn't seem to be any new issues being brought up in the other forums. I don't reply to the threads with questions because I know that 20 other people are going to post the exact same thing, so why bother? The same topics reoccur over and over, and there never seems to be any fresh topics in any forum except for this one. Off-topic focuses on current events, personal events, and random thoughs which are ever-changing, and often interesting.

Anyhow, the other forums just don't do it for me anymore. It seems that there's nothing new to learn anymore. :(

PS: There's still alot that I havn't learned on the DB side of things, so that doesn't count.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  3. +1. Kind of.
  4. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    and you guys racked up 1000's of posts before you got to that point?

Personally - I think it's a product of over-bearing moderator action. I mean how many "civilized" threads about naming "the best fretless player" can you really stand?

There needs to be more anarchy around here! Actually . . it's really more freedom - it would only seem like "anarchy" to the establishment by comparison.

You can almost hear Stalin yelling his famous quote "Freedom? For whom? And to do what? " :eek:
  5. Wow, I have over 1000 posts? OH MY GOD WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

By the way, I realize how ironic posting this thread was... (it's been done many, many times before)
  6. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    might be a good thing... you know... means you have more intrest then bass:]

i post in ot far more... but read alot of bass/amp/technic forums... and i mean what can i post in bass forum... yes i have a bass... its dean... i like it... boom we are done:p

OT forum rox0rs...

7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, but how many friendly, family site that most parents would let their 12 year old are there, without 3 mb pictures in the sigs that take up 90% of the screen?

Don't have to be here, yo.
  8. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    you could pay a little and join as a Supporting Member and feel free to talk "politics" with us in the the drinks are free over there. :D
  9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Hey, if you could have only 10 basses.........?
    Wut's th' bestest bass for death metal?
  10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    One more-I want to sound just like Mark Hoppus...
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It doesn't sound like you're happy here.

Life is too short to be unhappy.

Don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out. That would hurt.
  12. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    If you post it they will come...... :ninja:
  13. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    welcome to the world of internet forums... stay on any forum long enough, no matter what the topic, and you'll get bored after a few years... i've seen your post at many a forum before...

why do you think i only lurk anymore? :)
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This usually happens at about age 18. How old are you, anyway?

We 55-year-olds learn something new every day, even on TalkBass. I guess we're just re-learning everything we forgot we knew when we knew it all.
  15. Haha, profiles tell you alot, don't they? :p
  16. Haha, I lerk alot too, possibly why i have a *realatively* low post-count for the time I've been here.

You've seen my post at many a forum before? As in non-tb forums? If so, that's cool! (although I usually go by curlydave elsewhere)
  17. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Actually, that was the sound of me answering a question honestly.

In reality - it doesn't sound like the thread starter is happy here - but he didn't mention moderators so I guess he escapes your adept emotional assessment. He had a criticism - I simply offered an opinion about WHY his perceived problem exsists.

My opinion - if it wasn't clear, is that the other forums could be a lot more entertaining if they weren't run like a grade school library.

I know that's your policy. Fine. But at least be honest about it and ackowledge the fact that the policy also dulls discussion. You've made the policy decision that banality is tolerable because you net civility.

Fine - just be honest and say that. Don't churn out some cliched and closed minded "love it or leave it" line when someone has the gall to point it out. Stand up for the good and the BAD effects your moderation policy creates. Take responsibility for ALL of it.

There's a lot of slack left in the moderator rope before you get to 3mb sig files. That's a straw man. But you knew that. ;)

I'm a musician - I'm a bassist. I want to communicate with other musicians and bassists. This forum certainly brings them all together - my only question - is the aggressive chaperone thing necessary?

Perhaps an adults only forum - where men can be men and musicians don't have to watch every word or thought expressed. Where we can talk like we do in the practice room - at the gig - when we're out watching other musicians play.

Or, conversely, an under-age forum (under 21)

Just a thought.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Know what? We used to allow all sorts of stuff. But people can't behave. That's why politics and religion are in the Lounge. And if you can't say what you wanna say without swearing, not many people will value your opinion.

If making suggestive comments and sexual jokes or talking about Bush vs. Kerry is that important to you, either fork over $20, or don't bitch.

It's a really simple system Paul/We set up. We "aggresively chaparone" because people seem to be otherwise unable to chaparone themselves.
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hmmm...I don't mind the "grade school library" here. This place does not seem overly moderated. Cussing, political arguing, and debates about God are old and played out. I guess some of the other forum topics here are too, but what do you expect?

I spend alot of time reading, and posting in "Amps". I see the same threads often, but I still read and post in them. Maybe you need to take a fresh approach to some of the topics you are tired of. Works for me.