This is NOT an endorsement.... but check out my HotDotz!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Mods, if this is deemed an inappropriate endorsement, please remove it.

I have always wanted LED's on a bass. So, I have this Fodera Imperial and, I decided to pimp it out just a bit. Ordered some Hotdotz. What do you think?

They ARE removable, but I actually like them.

As you can see, the battery pack installed pretty nicely on the Headstock, and the power wire that comes around to the front os Pretty much not noticeable.

I got the three way switch. Low is the best setting. Hi is too bright. No interference at all.

Installation was easy, and I'm pretty pleased.

What do you think?

I have more pics if anyone is interested.
  2. ilikepie

Jul 23, 2003
    Tacky. Sorry.
  3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    That's cool.

I know everyone won't like them.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [mr. horse]Nosir, I don't like it![/mr. horse]
  5. Tacky but nice when lights are low...

Enjoy 'em dude!
  6. I know this isn't as much as an issue on a 6 stringer, but would you feel them when you put your thumb around the neck on a 4 string bass
  7. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    The light array thickness is less than a dime. I know it's there, but I just barely feel it.

I was afraid it'd be in the way, but if this were a 4 banger or a 5 that I COULD put my thumb around the top for muting or fretting notes, I'd have no problem and no fear about damaging anything.
  8. Those are pretty cool. I tried to get them to give me one in exchange for some advertising a while ago but they weren't interested.

My upcoming Hanewinckel Piccolo will have fibre optic lit side-markers.

- Dave
  9. I think those HotDotz are a great idea. LEDs are cool, although I probably wouldn't get any out of personal taste.
  10. multi colour chase lights for christmas and new year's gigs would be cool...other than that....nahhhh
  11. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Trust me, if I hever have a bass built..... it WILL have LED's. I just like them. Maybe I'm a glitz and glam freak, but they've always appeald to me as a nice something extra.

If I get tired of them, they are easily removeable. Just not reapplicable to another instrument. I'm gonna stick with them for a pretty good while.
  12. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I don't like LEDs in general for normal playing, I've always been more traditional in my taste for just about anything, but if I were in a situation where I'd be playing in the dark I'd deffinately pick a set of those up now that I know they actually turn on and all.
  13. Unless I played in a pit, or a club that had one hanging lamp that swung idly over the floor flickering every now and again to illuminate the barflies, I would stay far, far way from LED side dots.
  14. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Can you tell me why? Do you just not like them or do you think they'll interfere with the signal? I can assure you there is no hum or any "tone degredation".

This is really helpful!! Please... keep the comments coming.
  15. Oh, I'm sorry, I should have mentioned as to why :smug:

Personally, I just do not see the need for having them there unless I had to have their visual aid for a specific reason. Aesthetics aside, which I do admit are nice, I usually place them on the lower rungs of the bass accessory hierarchy.
  16. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I think those look great. As a matter of fact, I always practise in a darkened room, in order to strengthen muscle memory and to reduce my reliance on the visual; but I can see where the marker dots would be effective. The red colour lights might be better suited for a black, or dark-coloured bass - perhaps that is what other posters are reacting to. And BTW, that is a very mean looking Fodera.
  17. I have HotDotz on my six-string, and it helps a lot when sight-reading in a dark pit. Just nailing the first note alone makes it worth it... and hey, you can always switch them off!
  18. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I put some on my Shuker 6, then managed to break them by being less than careful when placing it on the hanger - sods law the last gig really needed them!

Ah well, next time I know to have them included in the original spec.
  19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Very nice. I'd love to get a set for my fretless, but unfortunately the battery pack doesn't fit on my headstock. :scowl:
  20. Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    i have to say im not to impressed, looks uber tacky and especially on such a nice bass like that, your bass now looks like a geeky computer like this: