this is please

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mikewho, Apr 16, 2005.

1. i purchased new strings for my schecter omen 5 string yesterday, a ghs boomer pack, medium scale (045---130), and it was going fine until i got to the 5th string. the very end of the string won't go through the bridge for some reason. the string seems thicker at the end, and sort of jagged. about 2/5 of an inch are still sticking out. i tried to just put the string in anyway and it worked, and though i haven't played through an amp yet (i'm at a friend's house), it seems okay. still, i'd rather fix this. any ideas from anyone?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Two ways to go about it... bore out your bridge carefully and slowly with a drill bit designed for metal...

Or, switch to taperwound strings. The latter is much easier, will cost about the same amount (unless you have the drill bit at home) and frankly, I prefer because I find it does tend to tighten up the B-string's tone.

As far as working, yes, it'll work. Won't make a difference through the amp as it does acoustically, however, it may slip resulting in inconsistent tuning.
  3. taperwound eh? and yeah it works, but it sounds bad (buzzy frets). i'll have to go aboot fixing this. thanks :bassist:
  4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Sometimes the windings at the bottom of the string near the ball end aren't packed that neatly, and they can be a bear to get through the hole in the bridge. If you have some smooth duck-billed pliers, you can try "neatening up" the string's outer windings and arranging them a bit more tightly, to make it thread through easier.

I sometimes have to touch up my D'Addario 145s a bit when putting them on some of my basses (yes, I know that's a silly big B string).
  5. I had the same problem using 45 - 105's on my Reverend. I took the same route as Basshole and it worked perfectly...and a 100 E string is the guage recommended by Reverend.