1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is one of the most beautiful basses I have ever seen. Check it out.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassplayertda, Apr 5, 2009.

Do you like this UB?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2011.
  1. Yes, it's beautiful

68.5%
  2. No, it's to over the top

24.8%
  3. No, it's ugly

6.7%
  1. I soooooo wish I could afford this...

wilf_lion-fhole.

wilf_lion-front.

wilf_lion-scroll.

wilf_lion-side.

wilf_lion-back.

What do yall think?

2. Wow that is amazing! What make is it and how much does it cost?

3. It's an Emanuel Wilfer. I'm not sure of all the details about it, but the bio is "New beautifully carved at C-bout corners on front and back, cut-away fingerboard. Great sounding and great looking bass, with free Bobelock cover. 41-1/2" string length. List price, $27,000."

The list price is $27,000, but they're selling it for $17,500

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I'm pretty old fashioned. I'd rather spend my $20,000 on Sypher's Prescott or the Italian he was trying or Phil's Contessa or a Schnitzer Walnut or a Hatchez - something with 'The Sound'. :)

5. Yeah. If I had 20,000 I wouldn't spend it on that kind of bass, I just thought it was extremely beautiful...if i was rich, i'd buy it for show though. haha

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    It would be nice if someone could report on how that Wilfer sounds. Anyone?

7. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    No offense, but I'm sure that my new Golia would waste it and for $4k less. And it looks cooler. Surprised they used gamba corners.

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Yeah, but Jason is asking 28k, I think the Italian is 35k and Hatchez charges 35k, I believe. So...As Toad reported, it's pretty tough to find a really nice older bass in good shape for <20k. And, I can do without the fancy carvings, but the lion's head is tough to beat.

9. The lion head is cool as crap. haha

10. Very pretty, looking at the effort on the cosmetics one would expect as much effort spent of the acoustics too. Never know until played, but I imagine likely.
    Looks like Wilfer is going after the Pollmann customer.

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I could go without most of the carvings. I love the scroll though.

12. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Angriest lion ever.

13. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Interesting, I've never seen a DB with carvings as such. Is that rare and are they done by machine or handcrafted?

At my skill level of playing....for $17,500 I'd put a little with it and buy a 2nd Harley Davidson and keep plucking my Engelhardt student model...Oh, this is not a cycle forum...sorry:bag:

Thanks for the post....

14. Good looking.
    Nothing personal, but after master bass luthier Jeff Bollbach carved his gorgeous lion head, that did it for me with any kind of head carving on a bass for me. For me...difinitve.
    I often wonder why someone would go through all that trouble and then go with those lower quality machines. (on the Wilfer)

15. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Hey Paul
    On the bass Luciano Golia made for me with a beautiful carved woman scroll he put crap tuners on. I chewed him out and he apologized and took enough off the bread to put better tuners on. It turned out that Rubner ( who makes crap and really good tuners) stiffed him and was 2 months late in sending him their best tuners. I was thinking of the Sloanes----any thoughts guys?

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  17. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Hey Eric
    In Cologne. Rather challenging tour. Tobial Pohlling is coming to the gig with his new pickup. I'll likely be bringing it home. Sounds promising. By the way, the Golia is sounding better and better. Everybody seems to prefer it over my previous bass (as do I )

18. Mike, after everything is said and done... Kinda been there...done that kinda thing.
    Sloane. IMHO. I figure, if you top out at about $500...pop for a bit more and go for the best.
    If I couldn't do the Sloane's, I'd go for the English ones.

19. That's a little too precious for my taste.

If I had 20 grand, I'd find the best-sounding bass I could find for 10 grand or under, set aside 5 grand for lessons and use the rest to support my string habit.

Or I could just keep my Kay and put the money in the mattress. :eyebrow:

20. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    It would be more cool if it were a skull.