Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is priceless...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Feb 14, 2003.

1. I overheard some kids in my Auto Shop class talking about starting a band, and one of the kids (obviously a geetar player) said:

"Hey, why don't you play bass? It's super easy..there's only 4 strings."

Then I said:

"Hey buddy, my bass has 8 strings. Pfft, guitar is so easy. There's only 6."

His face - :eek:

AAAAAAAAAhhhhh...I felt pretty good after that. :D

2. Good job :)

I don't understand 4 strings easier. Sure it's less then 6 but theres also popping and slapping. And then having ALOT of finger endurance. They get to use a pick all the time. Heh.

3. Well, if kids play the bass just because they HAVE to, they'll just mimick whatever the guitars are playing.

They'll wind up barely even touching the A string..and yes..90% of the time use a pick because it's "easier".

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You can always tell 'em that a trumpet has only three valves... that must make it super-easy right :D

-robert

My brother is a fantastic trumpet player... been playing 35+ years and is still 'learning'...

5. And hell!

You can play the piano with ONE HAND!

That's gotta be SUPER easy!

I mean..come on.

Guitar has 6 strings. Ok.

How many do you use in a song? Uh..if you don't solo..like..3.

Bass has 4 strings ok.

how many do you use in a song? About..3.

there ya go. :D

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yea. you could also say a trombone only has one slide.

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You could also say : who really cares how hard someone thinks your instrument of choice is to play?

The whole concept of "more strings = harder to play" is totally absurd anyway!

The truth of the matter is that the more strings, the easier a bass is to play!

Think about it; which is easier, moving half way down the neck to play a fifth on the G string, or simply moving across one string and not having to change position on the neck?

Granted, there is a learning curve involved to become accustomed to the extra neck width or different string spacing. It's not like having to learn to play all over again though.

Pkr2

8. I had a guitar for a few months and I didn't like it that much, so I started playing my friends crap bass some. I CHOSE to play bass, not like anyone forced me. I love using my fingers.... even my sister a music major told be to get bass because all I ever used was the low strings on guitar. I shall never go back to those thin strings ^^

9. Yeah..my electric guitar is suppose to have 6 strings, right?

It has 4. I broke the 2 thin arse ones soloing :spit:

Piece of sissy instrument strings i tell ya what..

10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    No, no, no, the violin is the easient instrument to play. I mean look how tiny it is and it only has four strings. :D

11. I would never touch that thing, the possibilities on it are mind-boggling....

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All that said, bass is much easier to play than guitar. That's why I play it.

13. It's not easier, easier to start yes... but MUCH harder to master then guitar.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You, sir, are my new hero :D

15. SeeSharp

SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    Georgia
    You should have taking a muffler and bonked him. Actually, some lady at my old lesson place said that piano was the #1 hardest instrument to learn and violin was #2.

16. Unspeakably dull-witted morons like that give bass a bad name .

Guitars . Heh , they feel like toys . So small....almost pathetic . :bassist:

I have enough trouble getting respect as a teenage bassist as it is , I don't need fools like that making it harder .

17. s'why I don't play them.

They just feel so weak, like I'm gonna break 'em.

18. hahaha true!!! a mate had given me his strat once, he said "try to play this instead of your bass, i bet you can't do it" lol i broke a string on the first pluck :s it realy feels week tho like the neck's gona break if you do a string bend :D

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    When of course, the opposite is actually true.

3 values = 8 different fingerings, for all the notes :eek:

20. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability

I know you're kidding but........:mad: :mad: :mad: :spit: