This is REALLY cool!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Apr 21, 2005.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

Every now and then you come across something so cool that you have to tell everyone you know about it. :hyper:
    I had that experience yesterday -- I ran across the Barker Bass. I know that there has been a little bit of discussion of it here on but I am not sure it's gotten a fair enough shake.

Before I start rhapsodizing, let me tell you that:

* I am in no way affiliated with this company and I don't even own one of their instruments (although that may change very soon!)

* Bass icon, Chuck Rainey has recently signed up as an endorser.

* No less an authority than Bass Guitar Magazine reviewed the Barker Bass in the May/June 2005 issue. Here are a few quotes from that review:

" … one of the best-sounding, most comfortable basses I've ever played."

"… everything I played ... from standards to Tower of Power funk was a joy"

"… the Barker kicks ass for rock and metal grooves too ..."

"It's clear that Barker, a woodworker and cabinetmaker for over 20 years, pays close attention to details ... The woodworking, fit and finish are excellent."

You can read the entire review by clicking here.

DownBeat Magazine also did an excellent review that you can read here.

I also found an excellent interview with the owner/luthier, Lee Barker here.

I actually had a chance to speak with both Lee Barker and his wife and they are two of the nicest people I've ever met! They are totally dedicated to their craft and are just plain "nice folks!" :D

For those of us who are looking for something just a little different and distinctive but makes no compromises on sound, playability, and quality, you really need to give these folks a look! FYI, I know that a few TB'ers own Barkers and the one's I've spoken to have nothing but rave reviews for them!

Check out their website at
  2. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The bass looks really cool, and really comfortable. The samples sound great too.

Maybe it's just me but I hear hardly any sustain whatsoever. Still cool though.
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Uprights dont really have any sustain either, so that kinda matches that in terms of what it appears he is trying to do.
  4. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I guess, but since it's really an "upright" electric bass (not an eub) and of a more standard electric bass scale, I would expect a bit more sustain. I agree though.. Sweet bass, great tone.
  5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I saw these at Bass Quake in San Jose last year. Honestly, they don't do much for me. Trip Wamsley played one during his set. It was a while ago so I don't remember if it was cool or not.
  6. robe

Oct 19, 2003
    beautiful sound
  7. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

This thing is phenominal! Beautiful craftmanship, tone, and playability. (and enough sustain that you can pluck a note and then go read the morning's headlines!)

Don't sleep on this bass or this company. The Barker bass is NO JOKE! :cool:
  8. well, I have a few thought on the issue (big surprise! :smug: )...

I met Lee Barker a few years back at the Bozeman Bass Bash and he was a very cool cat, a total straight shooter. he explained the reason for designing and building the Barker Bass and it sounded reasonable to say the least.

later that day Greg Campbell played one and ran it through a bunch of effects. I have never heard an upright or an EUB that sounded so good in that context.

Trip does indeed use one and it's a pretty great sound.

because of physiological reasons I'll never be able to play one, but I think the 5 string fretless is a gorgeous instrument.

from the ever opinionated lows,