Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is really strange

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Yorkiebassist, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    OK, I have a Spector Euro LX 5 string, fitted with EMGs and the Tonepump pre amp. I know this is an extremely powerful pre, so I run the pickups halfway with usually no bass or treble boost. However, the bass distorts into ALL effects. I tried it into my Sansamp BDDI, and I got disotrtion, not overdrive. I also tried it into a compressor, and the same happened when the compressor was on, but not when it was off. I recently changed the battery, and I've also backed the pickups off. Any ideas? :crying:

2. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Any ideas at all?

3. the bass distorts at all levels, too?

ok...new battery...that one is eliminated...

if you back off your bass, it still distorts into your effects? you've tried your effects one at a time? and you've tried your bass without effects, too? what happens when you do this?

you may need to "pad" or attenuate your signal...but certainly ONE of your effects has an attenuation build into its input circuit???

what effects are you using?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Lakland is a little too hot for my BDDI. There's a very simple solution. Turn down the volume pot on your bass. Make up for it by turning up the gain on the BDDI.

5. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I have tried turning it right down, but even with the pickups on about 1/8th it still distorts....I'm not sure ifthis is how the spector's sound reacts to the sansamp? Maybe it just doesn't suit it?

6. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Hmm, weird. It seems a combintaion of backing the pickups off, turning them down to 1/8th full volume, and carful use of the blend and level knobs on the sansamp has yielded a pretty nice result. Thanks for the help guys! :-D OOO, one last thing, it seems turning the bass and treble up on the spector has no effect on the sansamp, the distortion seemed to be coming from the pickups. is this a regular occurance wth high powered pres, or is it usually only the bass/treble that effect pedals?

7. I've also got a Euro 5 and the TonePump, to paraphrase Hank Hill, "just ain't right." EVERY single time I've picked up my Spector, it's been a frustrating battle to tame that god damn pre-amp -- a battle I've consistently lost. It has this pathological need to overdrive EVERYTHING -- even if I crank down the pup volumes and increase the gain on my pre. Even without the clip light toggling, I still get distortion. It's near impossible to get a clean, crisp tone with the stock electronics. The TonePump is an evil little beast and it renders the Euro series almost unusable, IMHO.

On the advice of Firkinahsoul, I'm gutting my Euro for an EMG pre-amp (which is less hot) and swapping out the 40DC at the bridge for a 40CS to kill some of that ear-piercing, obnoxious peakiness. Hopefully this will turn my Spector into tone machine it was meant to be. I'll let you know how it goes.

But you should really consider giving the TonePump the ToneDump and putting a more usable circuit in there.

8. if you like how the tonepump sounds (minus the level issues, of course), you can always considering putting an L-pad (essentially two resistors, one in series, on in shunt) between the BDDI and the bass.

9. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    That is pretty much the problem I had, but I seem to have corrected it now, but I'd still like to get some new electronics in there, mainly so I had more versatility on stage(if I'm going into a DI i like to have some say over what my tone is like, rather than the sound guy mixing me as a deep rumble).

10. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't mean to be annoying, but I feel I must correct this statement.

An L-Pad is a special form of attenuater made with a log pot ganged to a linear pot, it presents a constant impedance to the previous circuit regardless of setting. What you describe is just a potential divider.

11. hello mr. pedantic, how are you?

an L-pad is indeed exactly what you described...however, when fixed in position (not varied) it is exactly what I described.

I was suggesting to the poster to install an L-pad...and then quickly went on to describe (in 10 words or less) what the L-pad does.

but thank you for clearer explanation.

12. Any chance there's a trim pot on the preamp you could turn down? Many pre's have em'.