Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This is ridiculous! (BP Review)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Danksalot, May 22, 2003.

1. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Bass Player Magazine
    June 2003 Issue
    Veillette Singlecut 5 Review:

List Price $3257.00
    Rating: 4.5 out of 5

"Soundroom Ratings
    The scores shown in each product review reflect our evaluation of performance based on price. In other words, "average" performance at a list price of $500 is understood to be less than "average" performance at a list price of $2000. We use this rating system:

5 - Outstanding
    4 - Above Average
    3 - Average
    2 - Below Average
    1 - Unsatisfactory

Here are some excerpts from the review:

"the G-string-side neck-pickup screw stripped out, causing the pickup to pop up."
    They fixed the problem with wood glue and a broken off toothpick!

"the slot for the B string's end was cut too narrow to accept anything but a taper-wound string."

The bass had no threaded inserts for the screws to the control and battery caveties.

They did rave about how clever it was that the bridge was not screwed onto the body, just held on by string tension. I think they for got to mention the problems this could cause when the ground wire is attached to the bridge. Take all of your strings off, and you may have quite a job on your hands reattaching it if the joint becomes weak.

Okay, for a $300 bass, this could be Average, maybe even Above average because of the great sound and comfort. But for a bass costing over $3000 this is Below Average at best. Does the Average $3000 bass have pickups popping out and bridge slots not cut to the right width?

Let me know if I'm missing something here!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree, but hey, bp reviews have always been skewed by non-relevant issues.

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Bass player blows anyway. I quit reading about 8 years ago. Nothing they review is ever bad or sucks or needs to be thrown in the trash. Everything is good according to them, its so PC it has become a joke to me. IMO there are many things that are really bad but they will never let you know this and thats how they pay the bills. What did you expect, honesty?

4. Well, you're missing a couple of things:

1) The bridge slot was cut correctly for the strings that were shipped with the bass.

2) The builder said that he was in the process of finding a supplier for the brass inserts to use with the cover screws. Since I've heard several builders mention having problems finding suppliers of that particular part, I assume they're actually somewhat hard to come by.

3) The pickup stripping out is a little weird. However, it wasn't stripped out when the bass was shipped--it stripped while the testers were adjusting the pickup height, which can happen if you loosen the pickup screw too much. Still, brass inserts or at least longer screws would have been better.

Still, it's been a long time since I've seen a negative BP review....
    Mike

5. if u read they say there working on fixing the problems brass inserts and what not. i heard the same thing about conklins only able to take tapper wound strings on the b string. and the thing about the tooth pick,most likely this bass normale wouldnt be sent out to some one like that, this bass is for review,he probly made this bass and it had problems amd insteed of getting rid of it he sent it to get review cause doesnt bass player keep them.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've only read one BP review that I can remember in the seven years or so that I've subscribed that had a 1 in it's rating, for a speaker cab with a rear-loaded speaker or something like that that they pretty much trashed. Other than that, the reviews are pretty much useless.

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i rarely use the reviews other than for lookin at the pictures and pricing.

this month's issue, i think, is a really good one.

some great transcriptions! especially the Ron Carter article.

i'm beginning to see a trend with BP bashing.

BP isn't the only source for bass, but i still think it ain't so bad.

most of the complaints seem to be about cover artists and reviews/gear ratings.

i find good stuff in every issue and get excited everytime i see one in my mailbox!

f

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Nothing rivals this site for the straight dope on gear.

9. Haha, that was the April Fool's issue. I remember--the "Western Sound Serial Killer Bass Combo".

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    can't believe i didn't mention that.

RR was my mentor over 20 years ago with his book THE EVOLVING BASSIST.

this issue washes away ANY argument that BP doesn't cover landmark/historic players. thoroughly too, i should add!

thanks JW!

f

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Was it? Y'know, I didn't even notice. How many years ago did that one come out? BTW, this not only makes me look dumb; it lessens my belief that BP would actually trash a trashworthy piece of gear.

12. I get a lot of my dope from www.bgra.net

I think some TBers frequent it.

13. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    It never said that the pickup screw stripped out while they were adjusting it. It said that it stripped out about half-way through it's two month stay at BP. I think they would have mentioned it if they had been messing with the screw, but then again, there are a lot of things you'd think they would mention.

I understand that starting a new line of products is an expensive thing, but I'm sure Monet didn't sell his first landscape drawings for Thousands of dollars. If some of these problems are because they don't have their connections yet with brass insert vendors etc., maybe they shouldn't charge a price that a "boutique" seller with an established line can charge.

Either way, if I bought a $3000 bass and it had these problems, I wouldn't say that it's between "Above Average" and "Outstanding". It sounds like Bass Player is giving reviews for effort instead of quality. IMO.

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    don't get me wrong, i'm not above criticising BP.

the above quote went through my head too.

f

15. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    I actually like Bass Player quite a bit. I find a lot of usefull info in it on a regular basis. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I read this today, that's all.

16. What's strange is that Joe Veilette has been designing and building instruments for years. With that in mind, I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on some things. On the other hand, the ratings seem pretty useless if you don't read the text.

17. Must've been four or five years ago. It was just a guitar combo amp that was facing backwards. They called it a "rear-firing speaker" design or something, and complained about how the controls were also on the back of the amp. Haha. I didn't get the joke for a long time either.

18. You'd make major changes to the pricing of your products based on whether or not you had brass inserts available?

Mike

PS: I'm not sure from your statements whether you're aware that Villette (sp!) is an established line, just a new model.

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    BP could be better, but I'm glad I don't have to buy a g***tar magazine anymore to get some bass information. Yeah, I know the internet is a far better source, but magazines are better for "throne" reading. :p

20. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I won't pimp for BP.

But I can tell you Joe Veillette makes wonderful instruments.