This is so Great!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dragen, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't know why I'm making this post, but I'm just so inspired right now. The reason: My band just had the greatest practice! We played our own songs for the first time (we've been playing covers for half a year). I have never believed that our guitarist could write that good. He even plays wonderful. Then there's our new drummer which not only got us a new and better place to practice, but he's competent and nice too.....and he's a drummer! Our singer really got it too. And I learned more that evening than I have in all my time playing the bass guitar. The songs really kicks ass to (at least in my opinion). We played for seven hours in stretch!

That was all, except.........I love my Jazz Bass.....I actually hugged it (is that weird or have you done it as well?)
  2. I miss those days.I remember when my bands would practice like that.It's refreshing and inspiring for me to see anyone enthusiastic about music.Sounds like you have cool band mates.There is nothing more satisfying than writing your own music.I have nothing against playing covers,God knows I've done alot of that,but covers are someone elses originals.As far as hugging your bass,why not?I've even given mine a name,she's called AnnaLisa.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Ya know Dragen, I hug my bass all the time! Just this morning, in Church as we were finishing a song...that big ol' note blossoming into the room was so right. Gave it a big hug right after the service...'Scuse me...I think I have something in my eye...

4. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000's nice to see I'm not alone. And yes it is something different from covers when you play your own songs. Especially for us right now; we're having our debut performance in the beginning of February. It's great to have something we made to play at that concert (and many others I hope).
  5. I'm finding myself more and more wanting to write some originals, and your story is VERY inspiring. :)

As for bass hugging...I do it all the time, usually in practice. It just feels so much more satisfying to play with my bandmates and then give my bass a good hug for having done so well.

Ok, so maybe it was me that was doing well, but without the bass, I wouldn't have been able to. :D
  6. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Dragen : very pleased for you.
    Since I always played only original music (well, at least 99% of the time), I can't share everything you felt (switching from covers to your music), but it's so delightfull when you play something that you created (or contributed to create) to people who eventually appreciate it.
    The drawback of having play only original music is that I don't any standard/hits convers and jamming is difficult :
    "Hey, let's jam ! Do you know that or that ?"
    "Sorry, no".
    "Duh ! Everybody knows those !!!"
    And since one of my main (and numerous) flaws in bass playing is that it takes me a lot of time to learn something new ... I am not able to jam a lot ;) (but once it's in my head, that's forever )
    Last time I attend a masterclass (well, kind of a masterclass, we were only 5 amateur bassits and a "pro"), the teacher make us work on "Stand By me" or something like that and I was the only one who didn't know it and by the end of the session, I was barely able to play it (ie to remember the harmonic progression) ... I ashamed myself :D
  7. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    It's great when you have a practise like that when everything clicks, and it's always better when you start playing your own songs. Wait until you have a great gig!

And there have been times when I've hugged my bass. (Although I try not to do it in public!) I've given it a name too - Uncle Jack (don't ask...)
  8. ...Why shouldn't we ask?
  9. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    The concert we're going to do, is really a contest (local bands playing) and if we win we go to the next stage in the contest which means a considerable larger city and ordiance. I just found out that our chances is really good (no to brag, but they are)..........we're not ready for this! We never thought of actually making it to the next stage! It's kinda cool......but still! There's about 300-400 people in the ordiance now, but next time there will be at least three times as much. Not bad for our second concert. This is so incredible!!! Can't help jumping up and down. Any tips and hints for the first time on stage?
  10. Hey Dragen,good for you.Since this is your first time remember to enjoy it to it's fullest.If possible,have someone video tape your whole set.Communicate with each other on stage.Be aware of your tempo since it is not uncommon to speed up(that adrenaline thing).Make sure you have peiodic eye contact with the audience.People like to feel included,kind of connected.Kick bootey bro!!!!
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Ah, Dragen, you lucky man... it was a long time since I had those feelings after a rehearsal... nowadays it's just more or less bad, you know? Maybe I'm just demanding too much from my bandmates and myself.

Who doesn't hug their basses? If you love your bass, isn't that the least you can do to show it to them? :) I hugged my J a lot, but I don't seem to hug my TRB... body style a bit too awkward for hugging...

Good luck on your gig - feel the adrenaline rush! Let the karma flow! Don't look into the stage lights! :D
  12. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    Thanks fellow bassplayers. Talkbass is great; you feel like your part of this huge worldspanning organization of bassists. Perhaps I am. Power to the bass!!!!...hehe

Hope you too have such a practice soon.

13. Hey Dragen your post sounds just like my band that i've started. Its good to see that my band isn't the only one to have good fortunes with a drummer hell the entire band!

*shrugs* although drummers are still drummers. :p
  14. zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    what is it with drummers anyway mine sux he has been playing two weeks longer than me (one year last monday) and he really sux he knows two drum beats and has no counting ability. is there any drummers any of you know in the Franklin PA aria? HELP!!!!!!!!!
  15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Dragen, your enthusiastic posts bring back so many memories of my early garage band days and early gigs. I'm so happy for you and hope you will never lose that optimism and actual joy with your band.

As for hugging your bass, a friend once left his upright bass at my house for safekeeping while he traveled a month. I loved that bass so much and hugged it every day. It was like a friend. Whenever I went in the living room, there it was radiating something warm and wonderful. It was over one hundred years old, Italian, I think and if only it could have talked, the stories it could have told. When my friend took it back, I missed it losing an old friend. It brings tears to my eyes even now thinking of how I loved that bass.

Now, as for your first gig, get there in plenty of time ahead to set up with ease and comfort. Don't ANYBODY be late. Make a checklist ahead of time of what you will take to the gig. Make sure you have extra strings, just in case. Make damned sure your guitarist has extra strings and your drummer, extra sticks. If your bass is active, make damned sure you have a replacement battery.

Dizon's advice about speeding up the tempo is so true. I had a drummer and guitarist who did that EVERY TIME. They drove me nuts playing at tempos that far exceeded our rehearsal and our demo tape speed. Be real careful about that or probably at least one of you will be playing catch up with the band.

As for the contest, the one band I was in that joined a "Battle of the Bands" competition was advised to not even think about winning. Just do it for the fun, experience and exposure to the public. That attitude helped relieve the stress of high expectations. Trouble is...we won! That's another whole story, though. It COULD happen to you. But if you don't win, remember there will always be other contests.

Have fun on your first gig. Things may go wrong or not as expected, but don't let it throw you. That's part of the challenge of playing gigs, keeping your cool when surprises happen (like the time a speaker/amp combo caught fire behind me).

Your first gig is one you'll never forget. The euphoria afterward is tremendous. Nothing like it. I hope that's what you experience too. Let us know how it goes.

jason oldsted

[Edited by JasonOldsted on 01-24-2001 at 12:30 PM]
  16. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Great post Jason, all so true!

I'd like to add this:
    Look the audience straight in the eye, looking down to the stage is much more scarier.
  17. my band just started doing originals about a year ago!
    i write all our songs but i throw out most of the songs i write sometimes i surprise myself
    its awesome but if you dont play a few cover songs nobody will enjoy it too much
  18. Hey Dragen... gimme back my band! lolol mine is just the same dude. Rock on! lol

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dragen! DRAGEN! Wake UP! ::: slap slap slap slap ::: You're dreaming ... SNAP OUT OF IT!